Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Personal Firewall 7.0: Won't Let Me Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bspinnaker

bspinnaker

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

On a laptop running XP Pro, and with wireless connection to the internet (a Belkin router), I installed Mcafee Personal Firewall 7.0. When it's enabled, I can't connect to the internet. Internet explorer, svhost.exe, lsass.exe, all have Open Access permissions. Am I missing some basic set up option? As soon as I enable the firewall, the wireless connection tells me it's not connected to the internet. (My computer's connection to the router is fine.) When the firewall is disabled, my internet connection is fine. Some firewall!

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hey,
I have McAfee Firewall aswell and from my point of view it is quite good, make sure you haven't blocked IE from connecting to the internet from what I remember McAfee does that by default (I Think) Open up the McAfee Firewall and click on Internet Applications from the side menu and see if it is blocked.
Posted Image

#3 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

Yes, Internet Explorer has been given full access to the internet. So I am puzzled.

#4 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Maybe you should try using Mozilla Firefox?
Posted Image

#5 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:37 AM

On a laptop running XP Pro, and with wireless connection to the internet (a Belkin router), I installed Mcafee Personal Firewall 7.0. When it's enabled, I can't connect to the internet. Internet explorer, svhost.exe, lsass.exe, all have Open Access permissions. Am I missing some basic set up option? As soon as I enable the firewall, the wireless connection tells me it's not connected to the internet. (My computer's connection to the router is fine.) When the firewall is disabled, my internet connection is fine. Some firewall!

Help!

You might want to consider posting your issue at the McAfee Help Forums. Post more details like exactly which version you have installed. exact version of Windows incl. any service packs and whether or not you have any other McAfee products installed. Sounds like as if you have "Privacy Service" installed too and if that's the case I would disable it to see if it makes any difference. And if you don't need it just uninstall it.

#6 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

My wife returned McAfee and got the Norton Personal Firewall instead. This seems to be running fine.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hope it all works out for you. You may want to ask some question here first, the next time you need software. We can turn you onto freeware for almost every aspect of your computer needs.

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Recommended Freeware
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users