Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could anyone suggest me a good external HDD for video editing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'm quickly realizing the need for one since I've begun taking upper-level video production courses at my college. They use Macs and Final Cut over there (neither of which I have at home, just a lowly PC from 2005) and suggest that students invest in a FireWire hard drive (which my PC DOES have ports for, albeit only supporting self-powered FW devices). Where should I begin looking, and anything I should keep in mind? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Well...are you going to using Final Cut Pro...or do you get to choose which software you use?

If so, what software will you use? I have experience with Corel and Pinnacle programs, I'm a home user :).

Your "lowly PC" may be able to serve you well, this isn't a contest who can spend the most money arriving at a final product :).

Any program will normally spell out the system prereqs...all you have to do is visit the rezpective website.

As for hard drive...IMO, you would be better off getting an internal hard drive and inserting it into your system. That will give you the fastest HD speeds and access.

Firewire...is over-rated, should not be a consideration for either captures or edits.

The one item I would suggest would be to ensure that you have maximum RAM for the system...4GB for 32-bit, 8GB should do if you are using a 64-bit O/S.

A suggestion...beware what you read on the Web in the form of seemingly unbiased reviews/recommendations...much of that stuff is generated merely to get more money into the wrong hands :).

Louis

#3 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

I'll be using Final Cut Pro in school, but I use either Sony Vegas, VirtualDub and/or Windows Live Movie Maker at home.

I already bought me a 7200 RPM 250 GB HDD for my PC last Spring, relegating the older, 5400 RPM 80 GB to Slave. I also upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 3GB.

My PC is able to meet my editing needs for the most part, but with a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, it gets pushed to the limits easily.

I'd like to be able to transport my video footage from home to class, and with FCP being the "standard" I'd like to spend more time learning it at school.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

FWIW: FCP vs Vegas

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

suggest that students invest in a FireWire hard drive .... Where should I begin looking, and anything I should keep in mind?

G'day Dave,

How's things going with the old Clevo?

I suggest getting an external drive containing a 3.5" (rather than 2.5") hard drive, and one that has its own power supply (adapter to mains power) of course.

I think you might be looking for something like the following, compatible with both PC and Mac:
Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac 2TB 3.5" USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394b External Hard Drive Model STBC2000100

Compatible with both Mac and PC
The GoFlex Desk for Mac external drive comes formatted for Mac computers, but works on PC computers too. With the included downloadable HFS+ driver for PCs, itís easy to read, write and share files interchangeably between both Mac and PC computers.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 lemonflavor90

lemonflavor90

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

im sorry im not much of an video editing guy but i do a lot of audio, and i was assuming a lot of audio editing hardware was similar to video editing

and ive always been told to have a external harddrive with a firewire port, since those have more bandwidth opposed to an USB2.0 harddrives.

http://www.eio.com/c-280-external-hard-drives.aspx?pagesize=12&sectionids=2288&expand=376&ViewType=2 something in these area?

but idk, maybe USB3.0 hard drives may do, too, nowadays.

but whatever you are getting, more memory the better, especially for video editing thatll take up too much space.. lol

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

i was assuming a lot of audio editing hardware was similar to video editing

and ive always been told to have a external harddrive with a firewire port

Yes, multi-track audio at high bit depths and sample rates has similar requirements to video. Firewire is potentially superior to USB2 in this application, as USB is general-purpose I/O, whereas Firewire is designed for multimedia streaming, and has stream integrity protocols for audio, video and MIDI data.

It's probable that the sheer throughput of USB3 will make this a moot point, but I haven't had the chance to try it out.

I also concur with the suggestion to prefer a 3.5" drive - their transfer rate is simply faster.

One possibility to consider: one of my external drives has both Firewire and USB2 so I can use it on just about anything by having the two cables with me.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

suggest that students invest in a FireWire hard drive .... Where should I begin looking, and anything I should keep in mind?

G'day Dave,

How's things going with the old Clevo?

I suggest getting an external drive containing a 3.5" (rather than 2.5") hard drive, and one that has its own power supply (adapter to mains power) of course.

I think you might be looking for something like the following, compatible with both PC and Mac:
Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac 2TB 3.5" USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394b External Hard Drive Model STBC2000100

Compatible with both Mac and PC
The GoFlex Desk for Mac external drive comes formatted for Mac computers, but works on PC computers too. With the included downloadable HFS+ driver for PCs, itís easy to read, write and share files interchangeably between both Mac and PC computers.

Hey AustrAlien? The Clevo's running like a dream after a 2GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD and W7 upgrade........a bit too much money for a now 6 year old rig but the results were worth it!

Yeah, I suppose those kind of external HDD's would be my best bet.

#9 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Back again guys.

I'm having trouble finding drives that'll allow me to read/write between Mac and PC.......it's either one or the other for the drives I've seen, with compatibility for the other requiring a re-format. The video cameras I'm using in my college course use DV tape, and I'm only able to transfer DV footage to the Macs at the school. Ideally, I'd like to bring that footage over to my PC at home, where I can have more free time to edit.

Is there any way I can do this with whichever AC-powered, external HDD I decide to purchase?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

G'day Dave

I don't have any experience using Macs.

I'll chase up a couple of people who are familiar with both Windows and Mac and see if they can post, and help you out.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hello,

Well the issue that you have with a drive (which I have as well) is that mac can read but not write to a windows formatted drive unless it is formatted to fat32, but with fat32 you have a file size limit of 4GB which for you is an issue since you will most likely be working with files that are well over 4GB. Now there are programs that allow you to read a mac formatted drive on a windows computer. I cant really recall a link to a program of that nature at the moment but as I said this is an issue that I have all the time, even with large capcity flash drives.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

You may want to give the following article a read How do I read and write to NTFS from MacOS

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Yes but as that article says that is an experimental driver. Please if the op or another user tries it be sure to back up your data before you try it. That should not really be taken as a permanent solution to this delema.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#14 Dave Finlay

Dave Finlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hey guys, I ended up ordering this external HDD, it's from the same family on the (deactivated) HDD AustrAlien recommended me a few posts up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LB4N0C (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro FireWire 800 USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive for Mac STBB500100 )

From my understanding, it's the only series of drives which allow me to R/W between PC and Mac without any workarounds and re-formatting. Unfortunately it's bus-powered, not AC-powered, so I'm wondering whether that'll be an issue concerning data security.

Let's see what it'll work like when it gets here! Cheaper on Amazon then on Newegg and B&H.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hopefully that will be successful for you. When you say "without any workarounds" are you aware you'll need to download an HFS+ driver and install it on any Windows computer you wish to use the drive on? Seagate do caution: "Compatibility may vary depending on user's hardware configuration"

STBB500100

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users