Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video and audio skipping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mharrison

mharrison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

videos that I have on my hard disk drive have randomly started skipping. This has just started recently, I am pretty sure it isn't the video files because they never skip in the same spot, and the skipping is becoming more frequent. This is all on a custom built desktop, it has an i7-2600K, 1TB CAVIAR BLACK HDD, 8gb g.skill ram, Asus sabertooth motherboard, and an Asus engts450 graphics card. Could this skipping be due to hardware, or is there something else I can do to get the skipping to stop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justin_NZ

Justin_NZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

At last I have found someone else with the same problem! Does it happen when streaming videos and music too? Youtube just isn't the same with all the wee interruptions. I noticed you posted this a while ago - have you figured out a fix yet by any chance?

#3 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

I haven't noticed it happening with music as much, and there aren't as many skips on YouTube, mostly just with videos on the hdd. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution because an AVG security update restarted my computer during a windows update and now my computer can't start or even repair itself, so I have to pretty much start from scratch, once it gets fixed I'll update this if I find a solution, if you figure it out definitely let me know, good luck!

#4 Justin_NZ

Justin_NZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

I had a friend lend me an old spare hard drive he had lying around. My laptop makes it dead easy to switch hard drives, so I tried it and the problem went away. If we are both experiencing the same problem, I'm guessing it's some ultra well hidden malware, or your hard drive is damaged. I'm by no means an expert, but if you get the chance, try another hard drive - at least I know now that the rest of my computer is OK

#5 Justin_NZ

Justin_NZ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Just found a fix on my original hard drive - there was an update which is apparently not yet available through Windows update for intel storage manager. For anyone out there with a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 x64 Bit, follow the link below.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20215&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

Good luck mate,

Justin

#6 mharrison

mharrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

I actually switched media players from Windows Media Player to VLC Media player and so far have not had any issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users