Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Issues after Virus Removal (Display Properties, SATA mode)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

My PC was recently infected and gringo_PR got me running again, but I have several more issues and he recommended I post here to resolve them.

The relevant thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic416522.html/page__st__30

Short Summary - while infected, I ran a scan with AVG and accidentally had "Automatically Fix Errors" selected and the PC was unbootable (NTLDR is missing). I managed to get the PC to work again by copying over four critical files from a previous restore point (using the recovery console), but I have a few minor issues and was hoping someone here could help. (I suspect there are probably system .dll files that I need to swap out to get the system working - and there may be additional problems that I haven't had a reason to discover yet).

Known problems that I need help with:

• I have a SATA hard drive, but I have to set NATIVE IDE in the BIOS to get the system to load. If I set the recommended one (AHCI), I get NTLDR is missing again.
  • Possibly related - if I go to Display Properties, the only entry is "Themes" - there is no option to change resolutions, change screen savers, change power-down options, etc. There are also no tabs on the top of the form.
  • In a text file, if I click on a hyperlink, links do not open in Firefox and I can't open Internet Explorer (Ordinal Missing error). I am going to try re-installing Internet Explorer, but haven't done so yet.
  • Occasionally, the system will hang on shutdown, but it hasn't done that lately.

The first two bullets are the ones I'd really like an answer to.

Thanks in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

<<I have a SATA hard drive, but I have to set NATIVE IDE in the BIOS to get the system to load. If I set the recommended one (AHCI), I get NTLDR is missing again.>>

What or who...said that AHCI is the "reommended setting"? The "native IDE" is enabled to allow Windows to be installed on a SATA drive...rather than forcing the user to reinstall XP with insertion of SATA drivers as part of the install process. Without this feature, XP has no perception of SATA hard drives...without the SATA drivers being installed during the XP install.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463530

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Correct, the SATA drivers were slipstreamed with WinXP and the PC was using AHCI before it crashed and was restored.

I thought AHCI had some advantages in drive caching and access times - but maybe not.

There is lots of info in the linked thread, but ...:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. | | GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X2 240 Processor | Socket M2 | 2812/200mhz
The HD is a Western Digital 500GB Caviar (Black, I think).
WinXP SP3

No real manufacturer or model.

Thanks!

Edited by Tiger-Heli, 10 October 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Well...I can only tell you what I think that I know :).

I suggest ignoring anything you read about AHCI, since the alleged advantages that I'm aware of...have nothing to do with system efficiency or hard drive use in regard to Windows.

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/62c55592-23af-4f3c-af71-db6e28da9411/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248540-32-ahci

More Of The Same

What is the exact error message...and when does it appear...when attempting to use IE? What version of IE is currently installed?

Louis

#5 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

I found this also: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

It looks like the biggest drawback to not using AHCI is loss of Native Command Queing - but that might be a performance hit on a standalone desktop.

It bothers me more that it USED to use AHCI and now it can't - rather than any real advantage one way or the other.

I also forgot to mention that at one point the recovery console asked for the administrator password, and I don't know that - not sure there is one - right now I don't need it:
Administrator Password - Not sure - I needed that to run a repair install, but got around it and don't need it now. Found this page - I was hoping it was stored in the registry and could be accessed easily now that I can boot into windows. Then again - not sure that it wasn't set correctly and the recovery screen that was asking for it was incorrectly configured.

I'm on a different computer, but most of the info is buried in the Malware thread.

Display properties is what is mainly bothering me:
Screensavers and power-down settings - I googled the display properties tabs missing (all I see is themes selection) and came up with a suggestion to check HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, but all that was there was the default DWORD entry. Just ruling out things that AREN'T causing the problem at this point.

IE and links from text files:
It is IE8 - Gringo_PR recommended this:
ok I think I understand about the links try this - http://www.timeatlas.com/5_minute_tips/annoyances/outlook_hyperlinks_fail_to_work
I replied this:
This is interesting - I tried the fixes at TimeAtlas.com. I thought re-registering the .dll's might be part of the problem. I tried step one, and when I tried to launch Internet Explorer, I got an "The ordinal 410 could not be located in the dynamic link library ulrmon.dll." Looked promising and urlmon.dll was one of the files to be registered and sounds like something that might open a web browser when you click on a link. However, after I registered the other .dll's (none of them seemed to have already been registered), I still got the same error.

So the questions now are: What happened to urlmon.dll? How do I fix it? What other .dll's might be damaged (maybe one for the tabs on display properties and one for using ACPI SATA drives?)

I'm thinking of just re-installing IE8, but not sure if that is the best idea or if there are additional problems.

Thanks again!!!

Edited by Tiger-Heli, 10 October 2011 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

I re-installed IE8 last night and it opens fine, but I didn't re-try the time atlas things yet, and links in text files still don't open in the browser.

Thanks!

#7 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Links in text files are working again - essentially, once I installed IE8 again, I just had to set Firefox as my default browser and they started working agian.

I'm mainly concerned with fixing the display properties missing tabs now, and maybe the AHCI issue.

Thanks!

#8 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

On the trail of the display properties tab ...

This page and this page point to a missing windowsshell.manifest file. The second page points to a kellyskorner registry fix, and this page points to a VB script.

I think I'll check for the windowsshell.manifest file first (I found out it's a hidden file), then try the kelly's file, then the VB script.

Will let you know how it comes out!!!

#9 Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:59 AM

Adding windowsshell.manifest fixed the tabs issue, so the only remaining issues are administrator password, and AHCI SATA mode support in the BIOS. Neither of which I am overly concerned about once I have a good image of the Hard Drive.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users