Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I reinstall windows 7 with just the system repair disc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zeroality

zeroality

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Got my stuff ready to reformat, only to realize I don't have a Windows 7 recovery disc.

I created a System Repair Disc using Backup & Restore in control panel but I'm unsure whether this is what I need to do a complete reinstall?

I wanted to follow this guide to do a complete reformat, not a recovery.

If I don't have everything I need, could someone tell me how to obtain them?

Edited by zeroality, 10 October 2011 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Got my stuff ready to reformat, only to realize I don't have a Windows 7 recovery disc.

Hi zeroality -
First, is this due to bad infections or major corruptions on your computer - Fix these prior to making your own recovery DVDs -
You will only be copying these problems if you make recovery DVDs from a bad operating system.

I had problems with wanting to do a full recovery (to factory settings), but I had a preinstalled version of Win7 Home Premium.
The laptop was a Toshiba, so I just called them and they sent 3 clean Recovery DVDs (total cost about $60 home delivered).
These are the ones you create if you follow the directions given in your link.

As I had not created the Recovery DVDs earlier, or backed up anything, I then had a "factory setting" with nothing backed up (saved) at all.
Follow the tutorial as long as your computer is infection free, and has no major corruptions to begin with.

Thank You -

#3 Handyman1

Handyman1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:13 AM

Hi dude
When did you create the recovery disc? if it was when you first bought your machine then your good to do a complete reinstall and format your hdd.
If it was some time after then as the first post said you may have just copied any problems you have and install them again.
FIRST OF ALL very important back up every thing you want to keep then give your recovery disc a go.

Dale :)

Edited by Handyman1, 11 October 2011 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users