Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Power Supply Mystery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rsssmoore

rsssmoore

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Alienware Aurora R5 Desktop
1000 Watt PSU
AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.20ghz
Asus M3A32-MVP-Deluxe Mobo AMD790FX/SB600
ATI Radeon Vision Tek 4850 (110 Watt)
4098 Ram 4 x 1gb Elipada PC2-6400/800
Dual HDD / Dual DVD Combo
5 case fans

Desktop would not turn on unless you jiggle the power cord at the PSU connection(as stated by owner).

First, Checked all connections,power cord, surge strip, wall socket (all good)
Opened the case...disaster!! Packed with dust in all vents, fans, including CPU heatsink.
Cleaned entire computer with 3 cans of air. Tried to start. several times...nothing.
Disconnected all power connectors and jumped the 15 16 pins...nothing. Checked multiple locations for voltage...nothing. Used back up Power supply to checked all case fans...all functional. Reseated memory and CMOS battery...Nothing...then 5 min later it turns on??? Re connected all connectors checking voltages all good. Before closing the case tested switch multiple times...sometimes it worked (turn on) sometimes not..the same for turning off now. Also noticed pulses in fans??? They feel I have fixed it..I am not...Power supply issues are tricky and can be fatal to system...Any advice? Did I miss a step or am I wrong?
Regards Rick

Edited by rsssmoore, 10 October 2011 - 03:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

How about testing the PSU, since it seems to be a question of consistency?

Louis

#3 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

Desktop would not turn on unless you jiggle the power cord at the PSU connection(as stated by owner).
First, Checked all connections,power cord, surge strip, wall socket (all good)
Opened the case...disaster!! ...

Power supplies are designed to be packed with dust. And still work normally.

None of those other actions report anything to provide a useful reply. Best solution starts with everything connected as started. Then buy or borrow a multimeter. A tool so simple as to even be sold in Kmart.

Set the multimeter to 20 VDC. Connect its black probe to the chassis. Touch the red probe to a purple wire where the PSU connects to the motherboard. Meter should read about 5 volts. But report all three digits. Repeat same for a green and gray wire. Report numbers before and as the power button is pressed. And finally monitor any one red, orange, and yellow wire as the power switch is pressed. Note any rise and final voltage number on each.

Post those three digit numbers. Relevant components will be accused or exonerated in a next reply without speculation based on those hard numbers.

#4 rsssmoore

rsssmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

I guess I am not being clear or I did something wrong here so I will restate my actions.

Disconnected all power connectors jumped the switch on pins (red & black)powered on. Checked voltages (Multimeter) on several connectors at random and compared
them to correct voltage chart and all were good...reconnected all connectors, jumped the pins, powered on checked voltages (Multimeter) all were good.

I thought that is how you check a power supply?

Power supplies designed to be packed with dust? I feel electronics of any kind designed or not should operate in a clean enviroment but regardless it was cleaned out. This would create any damage to the PSU correct?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Well...I just tend to replace the PSU...with a known good PSU...for my testing techniques. Seems to work quite well when I suspect a PSU problem and I always have a spare PSU around.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users