Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange OS bug regards internet connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

After fresh reboot and startup, internet icon (at buttom right) appears with delay of 2-3 mins.

P.S. OS is frequently updated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hi rhino -
>>After fresh reboot and startup<<
This sounds more like a "Start up" issue.
How long can your XP (?SP3) take to start from 'cold' start, compared to 'reboot' start, and how long will it take to be able to access internet.
Is this much slower than ever, or has this been about the usual times.

Also are you talking wake from sleep, or turn on power, then hit the start button, then connect to internet, or just reboot from operating ?
I turn mine off at the wall every night (Modem and Computer) and expect at least 2 mins prior to internet logon.

Thank you for any extra info please -

EDIT - I have shut down my system for a while now, and even with the router left on (I use ethernet), it still took 1 to 2 mins for full internet logon.
I do not have the icon for connection showing at all, but I can judge by Secunia PSI icon glowing from red through to full green.

Edited by noknojon, 10 October 2011 - 04:44 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

FWIW: IME, Internet access is the last part of the boot process which is enabled. I've always assumed that this is a protective mechanism by design within Windows. The time it takes the desktop to load...is dependent upon startup items and 2-3 minutes is not uncommon on my systems, depending on what programs I have installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users