Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes Library - How do I delete duplicates from computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

I HATE iTunes! I have a large music library. When I use iTunes, it duplicates the files. I just moved the library to my sons laptop, and now he has over 3000 duplicate files. arrrrghhhh

I don't have "consolidate files" checked. All of the music (duplicates and all) are housed in the iTunes folder. I have run Duplicate cleaner, but I don't want to delete files from the computer until I know whats going to happen. In my experience, if I delete a file from the computer, iTunes ends up still showing the song in my library but an exclamation point tells me its can't be found.

I want to delete the duplicate files from the computer AND from the library. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 colorifier

colorifier

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Itunes tend to duplicate titles if metatags of the original mp3 tracks contain "errors", which are really just accurate song information. Like, if some tracks of an album have extra Artists in addition to the original, then the album may duplicate. On pc, there's some good freeware utilities that help distill such "faulty" mp3 tags, e.g. Musicbrainz Picard, Magic MP3 Tagger or taghycardia. The latter is specifically designed to eliminate tag "errors" leading to duplicating albums in itunes and ipod.

You could try first to distill tags in the original mp3 files with any of those programs, and after correcting all the tag glitches reload the music folders into itunes to see if it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users