Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing with single internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 curioustek

curioustek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

I have spent time searching for this question and had no luck:

Can 2 or 3 different nodes access and use the internet at the same time? If yes, how can this be done with a single internet connection?

Any guidance or straight forward answer is truly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

I don't know what you mean by nodes. But most routers permit 4 wired connections and, I don;t know how many, wi-fi connections.

When you get ONE connection from your ISP, all those connected devices can use the router at the same time. Because on request from a computer, the routers issues Local Area Network (LAN) IP numbers. The external IP is just one for all. Router keeps track of who is doing what and which packets to be delivered to which computer. It uses MAC address of the adapters for the ethernet packets, so it knows who is who.

Long ago ISPs didn't allow this sort of thing. They wanted you to pay for each device. Then they discovered a shortage of IP addresses and said, hey, we can allow all that stuff and still use just one IP :)

Anyway, for home users, typical internal IPs are usually something like 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 which means 254 possible IPs out of the router. (.0 and .255 are reserved, .255 is used for broadcasting). Other non-routable ranges are 10.x.x.x and 176.x.x.x. Non-routeable means those IPs are not visible on the internet. They go no further than the first hop router. I can't connect to your 192.168.1.105. Unless I'm a very skilled hacker :)

Take a look at these:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/aijr.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If by "nodes" you mean other groups of computers behind other routers - then yes, it'll still work so long as the wiring and the setup in all routers is done properly.

Edited by tos226, 09 October 2011 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users