Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I slipstream all updates after XP SP 3 onto the same CD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geercom

geercom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I have slipstreamed the xp pro cd with sp 3. I am about to test install it on a test computer. Where do I locate all updates after SP3 in the most convenient form to add them to the slipstream cd I have created, and how do I add them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Did you use nLite to slipstream? Go to my site,http://xdot.tk/updates.html, and run the UDC script. It will download all post SP3 updates. If you want to slipstream IE8, please follow the instructions given.

#3 geercom

geercom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

I used the command line. Can I just use the same command line command again to integrate the updates into the slipstream folder?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

You can use the /integrate switch on all the ones that are .exe. If you then go to footnote 1 you will see the original files for the ones that are turned into add-ons.

It's really better to use nLite. It will do a real slipstream unlike /integrate. /integrate will make all the updates install at T-13 minutes. Just download nLite (Google it), make sure you have .NET 2.0 so nLite can run and add all the files my script downloads to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section. It's really quite simple. Also activate Bootable ISO in addition to Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs as shown in image #4 of these images... http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html .

When you are done you will have an XP that is secure out of the box and Windows Update will show no high-priority updates pending.

Also, just a word of caution. If you slipstreamed SP3 using Vista or Windows 7, your product key will not be accepted. Did you slipstream SP3 on a computer running Windows XP?

Edited by .X., 09 October 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

<<When you are done you will have an XP that is secure out of the box and Windows Update will show no high-priority updates pending.>>

???

Critical updates come out all the time...so it's near-impossible to be "current" when any "updated" install CD is used. But you will have many fewer updates to install via Windows Update and the system will be initially more secure than it would be minus the critical updates compiled on the install CD.

Louis

#6 geercom

geercom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Yes I used an XP machine. Current CD works great. I will start from scratch with nLite and add everything in and use that process. Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users