Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Display Driver Stopped Responding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

Running Windows XP/Home...It's the second time this week that I've logged on and received the message "Windows Display Driver has stopped responding", with the secondary message naming the "ialmrnt5" display driver. When the screen went to ScreenSaver mode, a floating box came up, saying "Could not find any compatible Direct 3D devices". Everything else seems to be working fine, but all my backgrounds look very weird...like they are in a 'photo negative' display (hope that makes sense!) The first time this happened a couple of days ago, I was able to reboot and everything came up normal and 'held' for several days. Today, though, first boot has given me the error message again.

When I previewed my post here before actually posting, there are blue lines running in the background of my text.

In searching this forum, I found how to check the Device Manager...which I just did...and it says "this device is working properly".

Anyone able to assist?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:19 PM

I did not read what adapter you are using but MIcroSoft has a POST referring to your problem. It refers to an ATI..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...n-us;318023#kb1
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Display driver is not the one cited on Microsoft's link. Mine is an Intel 82845G and has been operating w/out problems for several years, 'til these latest incidents.

The error message signature this time is different than the first occurrence, by the way.

And, as in the first case, when I rebooted this morning, everything is back to normal.

Aaaackk!

Suggestions?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

You may want to visit the Intel wedsite and install fresh drivers. If they are corrupted what is spuratic now could get much worst later.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...x?ProductID=865

#5 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

Ok, Acklan, I downloaded a fresh driver and am still having trouble.

Now, instead of having my backgrounds change to a "photo negative" look, the words on many of the websites have faded way out and are near-impossible to read....the color is 'soft' and the words are fuzzy.

Also, when downloading the 5.89 MB driver file via dialup connected at 42600 bps, the transfer rate rapidly went down, then deteriorated at a less rapid date and ending up holding at around a slooooooooow 4.58 kb/sec, thus pushing the download time from an estimated less-than-9 min to almost 19. What the heck causes th

:thumbsup:
Thanks for stickin' with me...
...Kat

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

:thumbsup: The words being fuzzy sound more like the tube is going out in the CRT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users