Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

This site is GREAT!Wish I had found it long ago!Anyhoo I have windows 98,my first computer,and am a neophyte.Problem I'm having is installing printers.I had an HP 1210aio installed but was giving me some restart problems,so I uninstalled now it won't re-install.From the disc I get log installation error message.Tried installing from downloaded driver from HP site.It gets as far as installing the software for the driver,scanner,printer then I get the big red X.The printer will scan to the computer but will not act as a printer.The other photo editing software installs but not the printer driver.HP can't seem to help.I've uninstalled the previous install all possible ways(that's their solution)no change.I believe it's something in windows.I'm thinking of putting in a new HD&OS and just go from there but this is intriguing.I really would like to figure this out.I've tried registry mechanic figuring the problem is in there,but it doesn't help.I've even bought a new printer but am having probs w/that one to!It's an epson and when I go to install from the disc I get a message that says I need macromedia shockwave,which I have.Tried to install from the downloaded driver from epson and it won't install."could not copy files.check the set up disc then run setup again.C:\EPSON\epson11375\\setup.ini".Thing is I'm not installing from the disc.Repeated tries to no avail.I've even tried going to the setup file on the disc and starting from there but when I hit open nothing happens.HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

You really don't need the software from the manufacturer to install a printer. Go to Start>Settings>Printers and delete whatever is there. Double click Add Printer and go through the wizard and pick your printer from the list if its there. If not, pick the brand of printer and click have disk and browse to the location of the driver you have.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

I have windows 98

You do mean Windows 98 SE I hope? If not there may be issues with the USB connections - I'm assuming these printers are USB connected?
Run Windows Update just in case, update your motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website. Do the printers say they are compatible with Win98? Check the manufacturers sites for the latest drivers.

It may be a particular version (or above) of Shockwave the install disk is asking for - great way to make a simple process complicated. No chance of the Shockwave player being on the CD itself? Use Windows Explorer to look at the CD contents.

What type of file was the epson driver download? An exe file? or zip? Uninstall any copies of the Epson drivers under 'Add & Remove Programs' in 'Control Panel'. Use Windows Explorer again to clear out any left over EPSON folders and then try the downloaded driver again. The exe file will probably create a new folder and unpack a bunch of files there. One of these will probably be 'setup' or 'install' but refer to the README file for instructions on how to install the drivers.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

To Leurgy:tried that.Wizard does not list that particular printer and when I click have disc it wants to take me to my floppy drive.So I enter the location on the cd drive and it says that its' not at that location.If I direct it to the location of the downloaded driver from hp on the hard drive it does the same.Also,my bad,I get an error message ,sometimes,at the red X that says HPZGLU07 has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. To:Rimmer,Yes it is SE and the issue is not w/compatability the HP printer was installed previously.As far as the Epson,the computer meets the minimum as stated on the box.Macromedia is not on the install disc I checked and it doesn't ask for a particular version.The downloaded driver is an exe file.I went to the setup folder and clicked open and nothing happens. Like I said I'm new to this computer stuff but I'd like to fix it myself.That's how I got started working on cars and do all my own repairs.I know this is more complex than a brake job!I think the problem is with windows I just don't quite know where to look or get started.Maybe this should have been posted in the win 98 disscussion board. Anyway thanks for your input guys and any other suggestions you might have feel free to pass along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users