Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 printer, 2 computers (1 Mac, 1 Windows)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 swens

swens

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I currently have a LexMark Z2400 wireless printer connected to my Windows 7 computer via USB cable. I purchased a MacBook Pro OS X and have been trying to get it to print wirelessly to this printer along with the Windows computer but with no luck. I have my Windows computer set for "sharing" but really have no idea what other steps I should take to get the printers to work with both computers. My Mac recognized the printer but communications seem to be the issue. Should they be networked? Can I just "share" them. What procedures or steps do I take? Please R.S.V.P. with suggestions/solutions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

I haven't looked at your specific printer, but my general understanding of "wireless printers" are that they are Wi-Fi capable, and you can connect to them either through your local network or on an ad-hoc (host to host) connection. Do you have a wireless network? Have you set your printer up on it? I am fairly confident that you will find it easier to get both computers working smoothly if you install it as a network printer rather than a shared printer using USB.

In our home setup we have a network enabled printer (not-wireless). I have it plugged into our switch, and once I enable it on the network I can locate it by using the wizards to add a network printer. You may want to be sure that you can print to it directly via USB from both the Mac and Windows machine as a backup in case your network should fail for some reason.
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#3 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for responding. I do have a wireless network however, my windows computer is not wireless, that's why the printer is connected by USB. The MacBook is wireless and the printer is also wireless. My Macbook CAN find the printer but it will not communicate with it. It's important to note that the printer is open wireless and not networked but I should be able to print from the Mac via wireless unless something about the windows 7 machine is interfering. I don't know. Are you suggesting I turn it into a network printer and give separate access to each machine. This seem like a lot of extra steps. Everything I read says they should all be able to play together. What do you think? Thanks, Swens

#4 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

One thing before you read my response: I don't know your computing experience so this may sound a little overwhelming if this is new material for you. However, don't lose hope! Success means not only having good consistent access to one printer from every machine in your house (which is awesome), but you will also develop a much greater understanding for home networking issues which will save your butt again and again in the future. Believe me, there is no faster way to get a practical crash course in networking than to set up a printer on the network!

When you say "Separate access to each machine," do you mean that you would install the driver on each individual machine using the printer? If that is the case I am fairly sure the answer is yes, but I am not 100% positive. While that might sound like extra work, there are many positives associated with it. For example, networking the printer rather than sharing it via a computer will allow much more consistent access to it. Consider that, as is, if you ever turn off your Windows machine your Mac will not be able to print! A real pain in the butt even if it's an always-on machine, as eventually you have to restart for one update or another.

I'll look into your specific printer model a little later today, but your Windows machine not being wireless will actually not limit it from using a networked printer (as long as it is plugged into the network with Ethernet cable). Assuming that you are only running one home network you should be able to print to a networked printer from any machine on the network (once drivers are properly set up). You would simply set up your printer in a similar manner to hooking your laptop into the WiFi network, and it will become viewable to all machines on the network. Note that unless you ad-hoc (going directly from printer to computer without going through your access point/wireless router, a temporary solution at best in most environments) you will need to set up your printer to access your network just like any of your other devices, meaning locating the SSID and inserting your passwords. If you really want to pursue the shared option through Windows though this forum on Microsoft seems to suggest a solution specifically for sharing to a Mac computer.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/how-do-i-make-my-printer-on-windows-7-share-with/bd920e46-dbeb-4bb2-a38e-8791facd0608

Btw, your manual should start in on wireless networking around pg 16, with pg 24 showing specific layout examples. Here is a link to the manual if you don't have it. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CF0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lexmark.com%2Fpublications%2Fpdfs%2F2007%2F2420%2Fenglish%2Flxdquser.pdf&rct=j&q=LexMark%20Z2400%20wireless%20printer&ei=fWuVToKTCcaUtwfOyYD-Bg&usg=AFQjCNEQKQDZFHS2D1yEN9h7o768i-1OCg&sig2=Em-FY6n-g-ORt1VezogaFw&cad=rja
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#5 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:18 AM

While I'm not too "network proficient", my experience lies more in hardware as I have personally constructed more the 20 computers from scratch so I have a little bit of knowledge which, as they say, can be dangerous. LOL I guess my confusion lies in the fact that while my printer is hardwired to my windows machine, it is still a wireless printer as I also have my windows XP laptop communicating and printing to it separate and apart from the windows 7 computer, wether or not it's powered on and I didn't have to "share" it. It's almost like the hardwired computer doesn't exist. You can see why I confused that my Mac won't do the same thing? Makes no sense to me. I would really like to try and have this Mac print to my wireless printer independently of a network as that's what it seems to be designed to do but if I must configure a network I'm willing to try.

On another note, I have AT&T DSL which provides wireless internet access through the device they've provided but believe I'm correct in assuming that this box is not a router, right? I do have a wireless router if need be.

Thanks for you support.

Swens

#6 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

Question: do you have any form of encryption on your wireless network? i.e., do you need to enter a password to be able to use your wifi?

#7 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

There is a "key" to for access to the DSL but for nothing else. I don't need it to access the printer, it is wireless independently of the DSL. I don't know if that makes a difference. I've always been able to print regardless of being connected to the internet or even before I had the DSL.

#8 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Well.... I am somewhat confused now. Feel free to throw a cyber-shoe at me if you get frustrated at some point. I have never worked with an ISP provided wireless device like you describe, so I can't really say anything with confidence in regards to that. Allow me to side step to a different thought: how did you attempt to add the printer to your Mac? Did you go through System Preferences -> Print & Scan -> + (beneath printer list)?

#9 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

I just installed the manufacturer's software that was provided with the printer. As I stated, the Mac "found" the printer but simply doesn't communicate with it. I'm thinking this might be some settings in "Airport" or my firewall?

#10 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hmm, by airport do you mean your wi-fi card?
I've never heard of a firewall interfering with an issue like that. Is your firewall enabled on your Mac? You can check via System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall (tab). For some reason I think Mac does not have its firewall on by default.

When you "found" the printer, where do you see it? On my system all of my printers are viewable via System Preferences -> Print & Scan in a box on the left side.

#11 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Well, I do not have a wi-fi card, my wireless is built in to my Mac. The firewall is turned on but I'm not seeing anything that would indicate it's restricting access to my printer. Yesterday I downloaded the most recent software from Lexmark for my OS 10.6 and installed it. You see, when I originally installed the printer software it was from the included disk that did give me a Mac option, which I selected but I'm not sure it updated correctly from the site so I removed it and installed the one I downloaded yesterday. I haven't been able to print a test page yet because during the interim my spouse had depleted the ink so I'll be picking some up this weekend and will keep you apprised as to the progress. One note; this time not only does the Mac see the printer but it's also notifying me of the status and ink cartridge levels which didn't happen with the other software install. I'm calling this a plus! We shall see.

Swens

#12 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

I would call this a plus as well, best of luck and let me know how it goes!

#13 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

I installed new print cartridges and lo and behold we have printing! I did have to provide my WEP key but all seems to be in order and we have documents. I guess the original manufacturers software on my installation disc was not adequate for the OS 10 operating system on my Mac. I appreciate your assistance and thank you for the time you've taken to communicate with me. I guess you can close this thread now.

Swens

#14 Apollosan

Apollosan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

This is such a great development "I have my Windows computer set for "sharing" but really have no idea what other steps I should take to get the printers to work with both computers. My Mac recognized the printer but communications seem to be the background check issue. Should they be networked? Can I just "share" them. What procedures or steps do I take? Please R.S.V.P. with suggestions/solutions." more power

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for responding. I do have a wireless network however, my windows computer is not wireless, that's why the printer is connected by USB. The MacBook is wireless and the printer is also wireless. My Macbook CAN find the printer but it will not communicate with it. It's important to note that the printer is open wireless and not networked but I should be able to print from the Mac via wireless unless something about the windows 7 machine is interfering. I don't know. Are you suggesting I turn it into a network printer and give separate access to each machine. This seem like a lot of extra steps. Everything I read says they should all be able to play together. What do you think? Thanks, Swens

First things first if your printer is on the network then any computer that is on the same network can print to it regardless of the connection to the network. I have a wired network printer and all my wireless devices print just fine to it. Your issue probably stems from the fact that you have it installed on the Windows 7 machine with USB SUpport vice Networking Support. On your Mac Book you will need to enable network printer services and do it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users