Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD issues, possible imminent failure?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wormtape

Wormtape

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Hello, seems I have another computer issue!

Recently upgraded my PSU from 400W to a 600W corsair, as the older one was no longer enough to power my new gpu and computer. That was around a week ago, maybe a bit more so unsure if it has anything to do with this current issue. Today i turn on my computer and there is a windows error window telling me Windows detected a hard disk problem and to backup my files right away. I backup on a weekly basis to an external drive so i cancel it. prior to this message i had two seperate programs close on me for no reason with a windows error simply telling me it had to close them down. up until these recent error messages ive encountered no other issues, no strange sounds coming from the HDD, no slow downs on my computer, no bsod or issues shutting down and restarting windows. I was curious if its a virus or some malware but clicking on the options the error screen offers (Start backup process, Ask me Again later, Cancel) dont bring me to any screens telling me to buy products or anything like that. The HDD i have in there is only a year old, and it was a replacement from the one before it that burned out within a year. It was installed by the store that built my computer. Looking up the error message in google brought me to download Hard Disk Sentinel which after a scan tells me the following
"Failure is Predicted - Attribute:5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads. there are 4095 bad sectors on the disk surface. the contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area. Replace hard disk immediately."

I ran malware bytes and iobit malware as well as avast and they came up clean, so i guess it really is my HDD?

HDD Info - 500G Seagate Interface - S-ATA II Model - ST3500410AS Firmware - CC34

I cant say i know too much about hard drives so im at a loss here and not quite sure exactly whats wrong either. Any help would be great. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

Go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to cd and run it.

#3 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

Seagates diagnostic tool is Seatools for Windows, unfortunately it tells me that most of the tests are unavailable and the only test i can actually do is the Short Generic one and it passes. Unsure why the important tests are unavailable.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

SeaTools for DOS seems available.

Louis

#5 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

yeah just made a boot cd with the dos version, failed the long and short scans. dammit, havent changed a hard drive before! should be fun.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Do you have an image of your current drive? If not, and if you don't want to do a new install, just use disc imaging software to create an image of your drive and restore it to the new drive.

#7 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

by image do you mean make a clone of my drive? I've read about it but haven't made one before, I use windows backup onto an external 1tb drive but I know that isn't anything close to cloning my drive. would I be able to clone my main drive onto my external drive without compromising what's on the external one already? or would I have to use the external drive strictly as a clone until I transfer it to the replacement drive? Also if i do have to use the external strictly for the clone, after everything is said and done is it pretty simple to return the external drive to its original usage? or do i need to reformat it and what not?

Thanks!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

Download either Acronis True Image (the best disc imaging software, but not free) or Macrium Reflect (the best free disc imaging software). Create a "recovery" cd with the application. Then create an IMAGE of the drive and save it to any external medium (it's simply a file and will not conflict with anything). Then change the drive, boot to the bootable cd you created before, and restore the image.

#9 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Sweet, sounds easy enough! Thanks for the help, looking forward to upgrading this hdd too now. new gpu/psu/and now hdd. damn thing is just falling apart haha

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

If you are using at least one of either Seagate or Western Digital branded HDDs in the system, you can take advantage of the free version of Acronis' imaging and cloning software provided by each of those manufacturers. The Acronis software can be run either from within Windows or from a bootable CD, which can be created once the utility is installed on a Windows system (and it is a wise to create this CD immediately). The bootable CD will be needed if ever the Windows system is not accessible.

Seagate: DiscWizard

Western Digital: Acronis True Image WD Edition
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hm, I didnt even notice seagate offered Discwizard, and i was even on that page earlier too. Used Macrium Reflect already however and everything looks good, just have to wait until after this darn thanksgiving holiday to pick up a new drive!

#12 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Quick question. This is my second drive to die in as many years. Plus lost my gpu this month and put in a new PSU as well. Could it all be tied to something specific killing my parts or just bad luck?

#13 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

Installed new Drive, same brand but bought a 1TB to replace the 500GB. booted up and restored the image over to the new drive, Everything looks good! Only issue is that it is reading this drive as only having 500GB (which the old drive had) and not the full 1TB. I imagine thats due to the image i made of the old 500GB drive, how do i get it to recognize the full storage of the new drive? Should I have replaced the old drive with an identical one storage wise if i planned on restoring an image? Or should i do a clean install of windows and only restore the windows backup? Hopefully there is an easier remedy.

Thanks!

#14 Wormtape

Wormtape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Nevermind! Went into Disk Management and expanded the volume into the extra unallocated space to fill it out. Everything looks perfect now. Thanks for all the help everyone!

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

You've done well!

I work mostly with old computers, and the parts that fail most often by far are the PSUs, optical drives and floppy drives. I buy and use Seagate hard drives exclusively and so far I have not had a problem with any of them ... but looking at the forum posts, and computers brought to me by other people, it is very common for hard drives of all brands and ages to fail. I don't think you need worry that it is you or your system that is causing the hardware failures: It is just "normal".

I hope you have a better run out of the new HDD. Buy a spare hard drive and keep an updated clone of your system on it for the next time ... and it won't be a problem then?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users