Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM finds Trojan.Agent but cannot remove it. Norton finds nothing.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 DLibengood

DLibengood

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

Hey there forum.

I'd like to start off by saying this is in fact my first post, and I do not know where else to turn.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a 64 bit machine.

A couple of days ago, I was using AVG free 2012 as my virus protection software.

I was on my computer, and all of a sudden a warning for a virus (I can't remember correctly, but I think it was a Trojan of some sort). I tried to delete it, and it said no infections were found. I thought that was a good thing. Well, a couple minutes later it happens again...so I tried to get rid of it again. For the record, I believe it might have been a zip file that I downloaded off the internet that might have got me this virus.

Then I used MBAM which found nothing, and I started to believe it was nothing. After a couple more times though, I got worried. I got online and bought Norton 360 Premier Edition 5.0 and started scanning.

The scans came up with nothing, but then I noticed that in the corner it started giving me two notifications. One notification was saying a virus (I believe a trojan backdoor 2 or something like that?) was blocked, and that my computer was safe. The other one was saying that a different virus (I think a TDSS? I'm terrible with names...) required immediate manual removal. I followed Nortons instructions, which led me to download their FixTDSS program, which found absolutely nothing. So I did some research, and found Kasperskys TDSSKiller, also to no avail. However, when I ran it, FixTDSS told me this,
"Suspicious use of Kernal callback but MBR appears intact. Repair not done. No infections found."

Frustrated, I googled some more. I found out that what I had was most likely ZeroAccess, which is apparently pretty nasty. The forum recommended Combofix...blinded by worry, I didn't even get to read that it was only to be used under supervision of a professional. I ran the program, and followed all the instructions, and it seemed like a success. Norton does not give me those notifications nor does it find anything with a full scan. I was relieved...until I tried MBAM again.

MBAM says there is a Trojan.Agent, and when I try to fix it, brings up a log. It says it cannot delete it unless I reboot my computer.

So, I let it reboot. When my computer comes back on, it asks me if Malwarebytes can run. I say yes...then no further actions from the program. Just to be sure, I retry the scan...it finds it again. So, once again, I got frustrated. I had to go to work, so I gave up for a bit.

I came home, and turn on my computer to see that MBAM has been mysteriously deleted. I download it again, and thankfully it works. Although, it still finds the same problem. So I jump on google to see what I can find.

I stumble upon RKill...I read some instructions to figure it out, and download it. I use it, and the log tells me that the certain processes were terminated. So, as the instructions said, I used my MBAM again without rebooting my computer.

Same old. Finds the virus, can't delete it unless I reboot. Reboot, hit accept, open it up again and retry the scan, and there it is.

So...long story short, I messed up with Combofix. I'm sorry, I didn't know. I was going to run it again, but I realized that it would be a terrible idea, so I came here.

Surely there is someone here who can help a newbie? Is it possible to run combofix again if I have someone prompt me to do so? Will it work without renaming it? If I have to remove it to reinstall it so I can name it something different, will removing it harm my computer? Do I even have a computer problem? I would really appreciate some help. Once again, I apologize for using Combofix without supervision, I really didn't know.

Thank you,
-Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DLibengood

DLibengood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

I have some extra stuff to add. I Forgot to mention that even before I stupidly ran combofix, all my restore points were already deleted. Also, I just tried Norton Power Eraser and it said that it found no infections either.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:03 AM

Can you post the logs that Mbam created?

Since you ran Combofix, Please follow the instructions in ==>Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Most importantly please be patient till you get a reply to your topic.

#4 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:44 AM

Maybe CF is being detected by MBAM as a trojan? Some software flag it as a threat, not sure. But seems cryptodan is telling you to make a thread in another section.

Edited by master131, 12 October 2011 - 05:44 AM.

#5 DLibengood

DLibengood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey cryptodan, thanks for the help.

Here is the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7906

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

10/12/2011 9:51:30 PM
mbam-log-2011-10-12 (21-51-18).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 195501
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\RUN\2600 (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: 2600 -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Here's the link to the newest post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423264.html/page__gopid__2439139#entry2439139

All the logs came out just fine. The only one I couldn't get is GMER and that's only because I run a 64 bit operating system. thanks again for your help and I apologize in advance if I did anything else wrong lol

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hello,

Now for the hard and frustrating part: waiting.

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users