Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem loading Windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jman242

jman242

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

Hello, I have Win7 Home Pro, and am having some difficulty. I have set up this laptop to be a dual boot system running Win7 and the most recent release of Ubuntu. My problem is that every time I attempt to load windows I receive an error (Using Linux to access the windows partition):

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup: magic: 0x00000000 size: 4096 usa_ofs: 0 usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
Actual VCN (0x0) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x2).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

Now, I have Win 7 and Ubuntu on the same hard drive. I have no problems loading Ubuntu. I also have no ability as far as I know to access a command prompt, any suggestions?

I will also edit/post a copy of what it says when I try to load from windows in a few moments.
EDIT:

Windows boot manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1)Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2)Choose your language settings, and then click next.
3)Click repair your computer
If you do not have this disc, contact your system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

There have been no new software or hardware changes. My computer's manufacturer is HP, and the recovery disc will reformat the entire drive. Any suggestions?

Edited by jman242, 09 October 2011 - 12:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boyans

boyans

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Have you changed Windows partition in some way (shrinking, expanding, whatever) ?
If yes - you have to fix Windows 7 boot (run Windows 7 repair either automatic or manual).

To access Repair use either "Windows 7 repair disk" or "installation disk" and select Repair option (not Reinstall !)

Automatic Repair could be run up to three consecutive times with rebooting after each until no errors are reported.

Manual steps: (on Windows 7 Recovery console)
1. The disk has to be checked for consitency. Use chkdsk.
2. Repair boot sectors and MBR.
bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/)
3. Repair of BCD (boot config data) - when altering partition the information in BCD no longer corresponds to partition parameters stored in BCD:
bcdboot c:\windows
where "c:" is drive_letter of Windows 7 - check if c:\windows exists, if not try d:\windows until found and place correct drive_letter in command above.

Note: After repairing Windows 7 you will not be able to boot to Ubuntu !! You can either add an entry to BCD for Ubuntu or repair GRUB2 (using LiveCD).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users