Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Eudora mail suddenly cannot log into POP server

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gtc

gtc

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

A few days ago my Eudora mail client began to play up when I try to read (i.e. download) mail messages from my ISP. Symptom is a message saying either:

"Could not connect to "pop.xxx.xxx.xxx
"Cause: connection refused (10061)"

or:

"Error reading from network"
"Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server. (10100)"

I can still send messages with no problem, so the SMTP side is fine, it's just the POP side that is affected.

If I reboot and start Eudora I can read my mail, but then say 10 minutes later if I click on read mail I get the error message(s). The only way to recover is to reboot, and then a few minutes later the problem reappears. I have spoken with my ISP and they see no issues with my account, etc, so the problem appears to be local to my PC. It seems to me that something is taking over the POP port of closing it down, or similar.

Note: this problem is not apparent if I run Eudora in safe mode, so it seems there's possibly a nasty lurking in normal mode, however nothing is being reported from full scans by my AV (Avast!), Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware, and Avast's various firewall/shield logs are empty.

I'm hoping you guys can suggest other tools to deploy to try to find out what is going on.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 October 2011 - 02:21 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users