Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Recomendation: Jukebox software

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill()C

Bill()C

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Looking for software recommendations. I listen to my vast collection of music while at work. I can build playlists, etc, and usually use random. HOWEVER, I don't know of a way to tell a player to play certain songs more often and others less. For instance if I put new music on my computer I'd like to hear it more often than say some obscure Frank Zappa song. But outside of adding it multiple times to the playlist I don't know of any software that can do this. And quite frankly adding it multiple times to a playlist makes it very difficult to maintain.

Anyone know of a jukebox / player where you can rate the songs to have them play more often?

Thanks,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

Should have mentioned... this will be on a PC, not a mobile device, etc.

#3 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hey Bill,

Did you ever come up with a solution to your question? If you're still needing that type of prog, I'll do some back-tracking as I used to use precisely such a program a few years ago. And get this... Can't remember exactly which version of Win Media Player had it but, I remember you could assign "popularity values" to your audio files then create a playlist which included all of your audio and load it into WMP. Lastly go into the settings area and set it to play according to those values - the higher the value the more frequent it would play. The problem was, (and I suspect the reason MS didn't continue with it...) depending on how enormous your playlist was, it might take a day or two before you heard even the most popular songs repeated due to the number of songs one's library might have. Let me know.

Steve

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'd say that the answer...if you want to play same songs over any number of times...is to create playlists.

<<...some obscure Frank Zappa song...>>

Frank must be rolling over in his grave :), but to each his own taste.

I find that the whole key to playing music...is to only collect individual songs that I really like...never an album/CD conglomerate of 75% trash. That way, I am guaranteed to only hear songs that I really think have something musically of interest to me.

For player, you might try Media Monkey, if you haven't already. I like the fact that it fades into the next song, without those (irritating) silences between songs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#5 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

<<...some obscure Frank Zappa song...>>

Isn't that redundant? :lol: :lol: Big Zappa fan here. No disrespect intended. Now, if you'll excuse me I might be movin' to Montana soon and raise me up a crop of dental floss. B) :P

#6 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the recent interest.

I never did find a solution. I appreciate the guidance some have offered here and elsewhere. I work in a warehouse where we do not get radio reception. So it's up to our thousands of songs on the PC to entertain us while working. We cannot stop and edit playlists, etc, all day long so this is why I am looking for one way to do it.

Unfortunately I've found that many programs eliminate files from their playlist if the same file is listed more than once. Other programs allow us to rate them, but that only helps in building playlists.

COACH STEVE: Your last sentence is EXACTLY what we want... you're right, some songs don't get played for days.

The only option I have right now is to copy the files we want to hear more often and rename them so they will not be deleted from the playlist. That's a waste of storage (which I can afford right now) but a huge waste of time, which I cannot afford.

Any insights still appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi Bill, just a suggestion for you to look thru as it has so many facets,it may have yours.

foobar2000
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Bill,

The program I used to use is DJ Jukebox.
Here are the first two sentences from the program's website...
"DJ Jukebox is an essential tool for managing a song library and generating playlists. Each song can be assigned a rating so that favorites are played more often, and that unwanted songs are never chosen."
It's downloadable from all the usual sites (cNET, Downloads.com, etc.) but here's the link to the developer's website. http://www.gammadyne.com/jukebox.htm
The program has gotten pretty impressive reviews and it worked great for our needs.

Hope this is just the thing you're looking for. If not, well..... the hunt goes on. I suspect. :thumbup2:

Regards,

Coach

#9 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Coach... I'll check this out in the next day or two.

Bill

#10 Bill()C

Bill()C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Coach: I haven't actually tried this at work yet, but just playing around with a playlist of 20 songs this looks AWESOME! It will take a lot of work to rate all the songs though, but I'll get there. I'm very interested in trying this out.

Thanks,
Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users