Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not working on laptop.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Peterid

Peterid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5881. It's running Vista Home Premium. It was brought to me because the keyboard doesn't work. Then, things got weird. Here's a quick rundown of the symptops I've uncovered so far...

The keyboard does not work in normal mode.
The keyboard does not work in safe mode.
The keyboard DOES work outside windows (BIOS, F8 menu, etc).
USB keyboards ALSO do not work.
Other USB devices work fine.
Everything else seems to work fine.

And some of the steps I've already taken...

Uninstalled the keyboard from Device Manager and rebooted. The keyboard picked back up next boot. No effect.
Ran system restore from a few days go. No effect.
Ran sfc /scannow. Passed OK, no effect.
Ran chkdsk /f /r, Passed OK, no effect.
Disabled all startup items and services. No effect.

Currently I'm running a system restore back to about a month ago. I'm not really sure where to go from here. This is seriously the first computer I've worked on in the past few years to completely stump me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users