Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing Monitor or TV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

My 8 year old 15" Envision monitor seems to be dying. Now what to replace it with? I see they no longer really make many monitors under 20"! Any hints or suggestions? I do not do games, do watch some dvd's. Do I want 20 or 22 or 24? I can't imagine anything larger, it would be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. How about a tv that also has a pc connection or if I really want tv, get a monitor and add a tv card? Seems like a 20" monitor is around $100 and a 19" tv/monitor/hdmi is around $150. So money is not that critical. What would you buy? TIA.

Is LED really that much better than LCD? I'm an older guy with glasses ;-)

Edited by mrag, 08 October 2011 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

My somewhat random, unorthodox thoughts about such :)...

a. Monitor versus TV...I've been thinking about this one for a month or so. I conclude my thoughts with...I can currently watch TV on my monitor (I have a capture card) and the advantage to that is that I can capture/edit anything on TV. I see no advantage to being able to put my computer screen on my TV, thereby eliminating my capability to both watch TV and be on my computer, at the same time. Monitors are cheaper. Why confuse the issues involved?

b. Walk into WalMart (just an example). Go to the TV/Computer section. Look at the pictures and prices for the items which they are pushing...then look at the prices for the items underneath which they are not pushing. Buy to suit your wallet and whims...isn't that what consumerism is about?

c. Employing those attitudes, I bought a 26-inch TV (I was used to a 19-inch picture) and a 22-inch monitor. I've had no cause to regret either decision.

I try not to make spending money...something that requires a lot of thought or inputs from others. Although I do like to feel like an intelligent consumer, I really only ask two questions:

a. Is this what you want...will this do whatever it is that you expect?

b. Do you feel that the purchase price is a good value, based on what you know about advertising/hype and consumer mentality?

Buying computer parts or an item like a TV...doesn't mandate all the considerations that a purchase of a home should/would/could :).

So may message would be...trust yourself to walk in, find something you like...then purchase it.

Louis

I should add...I don't think it's possible to buy a bad monitor or TV these days...for non-gamers such as myself.

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#3 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the reply and insights. I agree that it would be hard to get a bad tv/monitor nowadays. Some may last longer and some if compared directly, one right next to another, MAY seem "brighter, etc" but they are all good from what I have seen. I have fine tuned my thoughts(s) on this subject. I need a new monitor for my desktop pc. That is the primary usage. It will be on my desk 2-3' behind my keyboard and mouse and that far away from me. I obviously do not need a 55" big screen. In fact I believe I need something like 19" or 22" as anything larger would be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater. If you shop, you can just about get a TV/monitor at about the same price as a plain monitor. If you want to get a 'newer' monitor later (they last like 8 years?), a tv/monitor could be used elsewhere, like in a guest room for tv. A plain monitor could not.

I am not a graphic artist, I sit and use a spreadsheet, a Word document, surf the web and do email. I do make some photographic web albums. No games, no video editing. I sometimes watch Hulu. Rarely do I currently (!) watch a dvd (that may change).

1) Which is a better size for my application, 19" or 22"?
2) How much EXTRA, if anything, would you pay for LED vs LCD?
3) Is there a real difference that a "regular person" can actually see at home between LED vs LCD?
4) Is 22" too big for use at a desk?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

<<1) Which is a better size for my application, 19" or 22"?>>

I don't think that the app makes any difference, it's all user preference, IMO.

<<2) How much EXTRA, if anything, would you pay for LED vs LCD?>>

I would not pay "extra" for either, I go with the low bid and cannot discern any visual difference in output from either type.

<<3) Is there a real difference that a "regular person" can actually see at home between LED vs LCD?>>

I'm a regular person...but I grew up in the era of black/white TV, so I think any output today is great :).

<<4) Is 22" too big for use at a desk?>>

Since there is no standard desk size nor standard user preference...nothing is "too big", IMO. User preference is the sole factor, IMO.

Louis

#5 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

User preference is the sole factor

But my concern is I have no user experience to use as a factor. I do not have a 22" monitor to look at. I have seen 15", 17" and 19." They all seem fine. The 19" seems big, but you adapt. I am using one now and it is bright and useable. I do not know about a 22" though which is significantly larger. I read somewhere to "buy the biggest one," but I'm not sure of that. Has any non gamer bought a 22" and later said, 'Gee, that is too big for my desk?'

#6 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

You write that you keep your monitor 2' to 3' behind your keyboard. That's quite a distance.

I recommend you get at least a 22" wide screen monitor, maybe a 24" if you can afford it.

I base that recommendation on my own experience.

I have a 22" wide screen monitor. It sits about 28" from my eyes while I'm computing and it's just right. (I'm also an old guy with glasses.)

The screen size also allows me to have two windows open side by side if I'm going back and forth between the two.

I frequently watch streaming video online from TV networks and lean back in my chair. That puts the monitor about 42" from my eyes. That's comfortable viewing but I think I'd prefer a larger screen for my next purchase when the time comes.

I'm currently using a 17" regular screen monitor temporarily because my 22" has a problem. I've had to place it about 20" in front of my eyes and, trust me, I don't like it.

Do yourself a big favor and buy yourself a 22" or 24" wide screen. It'll make you very happy.

#7 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

I have a 23" monitor and love it..it's not to big but is definitely not to small if you look on newegg.com there are plenty of 23" out there and so y debate between 22 and 24 when u can split it and just get a 23?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users