Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AUTO RUNS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

HI,i down loaded AUTORUNS,and it showed me all that is in start up,
but how do i get the list that shows by letter which item needs to be
used at start(I.E.Y,N,AND SO ON,THANK'S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Autoruns is not affiliated with Bleeping Computer so it doesn't use Bleeping Computer's designations. As a matter of fact, Autoruns has no ability (by design) to label certain entries as "good," "bad," or "other." It merely lists everything that it finds and leaves the determination of whether an item is needed or not to the user. For this reason it is inadvisable to disable an entry unless you have an idea what it's for.

A good idea is to check the "Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries" and the "Verify Code Signatures" options and then re-running the scan.

Posted Image

The scan will take much longer than the first scan, but it will hide those entries which are part of Windows or other Microsoft software, which should probably be left alone, and it will also verify the cryptographic signature of the entries. Most (if not all) reputable software companies will sign their files with a strong encryption scheme which makes it possible to show with 99.999% certainty that a file was created by a certain company and that it hasn't been altered.

Edited by Andrew, 08 October 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

THANK'S FOR THE INFO.i have several items pertaining to HP,also have several saying file not
found,also a MCAFEE FILE have not used it in years,but will run how you suggested to run and see what comes up.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Most HP-branded entries are, strictly speaking, non-necessary for proper function of the computer. However they usually do provided some extra funtionality and special features so you may want to research each one individually.

If McAfee is your only antivirus and your subscription is expired, you should either renew the subscription or uninstall McAfee completely and install another A/V such as one of the free ones found in this list.

Entries which are listed as "file not found" can usually just be ignored.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Also have 18 items called Mpks,i suppose i could go GOOGLE and look these up to see what they are.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? If so is the 'Real Time Protection' enabled?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

As to installing MSE,i did but some fool in my opinion thought it it would be a
good idea to put a timer on it to turn on REAL TIME PROTECTION,which i did not
know about so i was not able to turn it on,could not get around it so i uninstalled MSE.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

Also have 18 items called Mpks,

From everything I am able to find the Mpks are related to MSE and the real time protection module.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

HI, I found some about them to,but when you researched it did you get an idea
about them were they good or bad for MSE,will try again.
One thing i found out MSE was they asked to turn any other types of protection
you have running,but then you go into it deeper they say leave them turned on
and this is on M/S web site,thank's

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Well i reinstalled MSE still could not turn on real time protection,is there a real need for
it to be turned on at all,thank's,also on the matter of the MPKS'S can they be deleted from PC
altoghter.

#11 Mario51t

Mario51t

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

Different antivirus/antimalware products implement real time protection somewhat differently, and I'm not familiar with the current version of MSE. I use mainly Symantec (Norton) and McAfee. In general, real time protection looks for virus/malware in the data you are using just before you use them. For example, it checks emails and documents before you open them, but it also monitors important system files, processes, and parameters and blocks anything suspicious. Think of it as "immunization", whereas regular scans represent "treatment" after the system is already infected. As you can imagine, the former is a lot better since it prevents you from getting the bug at all. Unlike the biological analogy, however, real time protection comes at a cost: it slows down your computing to an appreciable degree. If you decide that the slowdown is too much and you disable it, make sure that you run your regular scans nightly, so that infections can be prevented from doing too much damage.

One more thing: you mentioned removing some of MSE's entries. It's ok to disable such entries from the autorun's list, but by no means just delete the files! That would leave a product installation with missing pieces, with sometimes unpredictable results. Instead, "uninstall" the product with the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in Control Panel.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users