Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some fundamental (basic) video question(s)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

A friend gave me a 6 year old Dell XP (E521). Great machine mechanically-the way pieces fit together is superb. Not so sure about quality of components. I am finding what I see on ANY monitor connected to it, to be 'off' just a bit. It just is noticeably less crisp that on other pc's. I put in extra memory (to 2 GB) and reallocated the onboard video from 64 to 128, but have not seen a difference. I updated to the latest (nVidia) drivers, but also no change. I do NOT play games or do video editing, only simple(!) stuff. So I am thinking new video card about which I know nothing. Dell shows that I have two "PCI Connector slots" and one "PCI Express x16 slot" still open. I am looking at an "inexpensive" video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127591
MSI N210-D512D2 GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
which if I understand Yahoo Answers (doubtful) will fit right in. I'm still not sure how the card will be powered. Does this make any sense? Any counsel, very much appreciated.

Not sure if the attached (multiple) screen shot reflects how 'different' the Dell is from other monitors/pcs

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

You have a 305W PSU so a 300W card should work, but it is a Dell so your mileage may vary. By the way, I don't have permissions to view your screen shot.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I would just upgrade the power supply, to this.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

Well as they stated the picture is protected so we can't see that. If the slot in your computer is PCI Express x16, then yes that card will work for it.
If you are having issues with posting the picture try just giving us the model number and we can find more detailed pictures online.

As for how it will be powered, I don't see a PCI-E power slot on the graphics card, which means that the graphics card power could possibly be completely supplied by the motherboard so as far as additional hookup just stuck it in the slot and you should be good.
There is a possibility that the increase power consumption from the card may cause the need for a new power supply but as it stands, I don't have enough information to know for certain if you would or not.

#5 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Sorry about the attachment authorizations. Likely not worth anything anyway as it was simply three screen shots of a browser window to show how in the Dell screen the words were not as dark or clear as elsewhere. My concern on powering a possibly new video card was I saw no place to plug anything in for the card. If as stated, my existing "PCI Express x16 connector" slot also supplies the power, then I think I am fine there. There is a 305W power supply which I assume is adequate for my needs.

I basically wanted to know if I spent a whopping $15 on this video card to replace the onboard(?) video, 1) would this new card fit into the PCI x16 slot, 2) would there be 'power' for it and 3) would I see darker and clearer 'words' (or better video) on the screen? I've had a number of stock pc's over the years and frankly never noticed any differences with video. They all worked fine for me. I never even updated drivers until I just did it on this Dell. I know if you are a gamer, then big dollar video cards are good, but for me . . . Thank you.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

The card you linked to is a PCI Express X16 card, so it should work. If you have a normal mid-ATX case or larger, I would get the MSI N210-MD512D3H/LP GeForce 210 512MB as it is fanless (no noise). It is still the same GeForce 210, just with a large heatsink instead of a fan.

3939.png

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

The card should fit as it is really small graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

1:) Yes the card will fit in a x16 PCI slot.
For a better visual aid use this comparison and look at the pictures provided by new egg if that is the card you plan to get.
http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/images/pcie_slots400.gif

2:) The problem with knowing if there will be enough power or not with the new graphics card is not everything specifically states what its power consumption is which is why people tend to just overshoot and hope for the best when buying PSU's. There are calculators as I have posted on other forums that can assist you in finding out, but I've found them more useful in home built computers vs company built computers.
If you have all the specs it wont be horrible to use the following calculator to get a good educated guess on about how much power your computer will use after installing the new graphics card.
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

3:) As far as the darker or clearer part, I have no idea. My first guess when I read that was the monitor was trash but you stated that you tried multiple monitors and showed no improvement. Also I've never seen or experienced this other than when my GPU was over heating which could be a possibility if your computer is really full of dust but other than that I am not sure.

Hope this helps ^^

Edited by Viro, 09 October 2011 - 12:36 AM.

#9 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:12 AM

Wow, thanks for all the help and insight. I have ordered the video card
MSI N210-D512D2 GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
and I guess we'll find out if it improves the on screen "clarity." I did check it with several monitors and photos seem fine (I'm not a photographer so most everything looks good to me), but 'words on a page' were just not as crisp. I looked at the "fanless" video card except this one was about 1/3rd! the cost (with rebate) and since this is pretty much a learning and testing experience for me, I wanted to go cheap. The "power issue" was not on total power in the system, just where would I get the power to run the fan on the card. If it does get the power from the PCI slot and this card will fit my slot, then I should be good. Since I screwed up including/attaching my first photo, I'll try putting in another here of the actual slots. I will report back.
Posted Image

Now I cannot figure how I even "attached" my first image-is there a trick I missed?

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

In that photo, the top slot is the PCI-E X16, the next is PCI-E X1, and the remaining two is PCI.

3939.png

#11 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear about that slot. For some reason, I still had doubts this new video card will fit right in, but..."we" should know for certain in a few days, Newegg is pretty fast. I played some more with properties settings. Right click desktop > Properties > Appearance > Effects > ClearType and (somewhat embarrassingly) the words on a page now look much better at least on the one monitor I am currently using. Does anyone know the actual practical effects of 75 Hz vs 60 hz etc and "native resolution" when talking about monitors? What I mean is a symphony conductor can tell if the third trombone player is just a little off while a lot of us would not even know there was a first, second or even a third trombone player. Can an "average" person tell any difference? And if so, how?

I tried the link (thanks) suggested to determine my wattage requirements:
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx
and think I have the power necessary. I did have to use http://www.piriform.com/speccy to figure out what I really had for motherboard, ram type, etc.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

75 Hz and 60 Hz are refresh rates, a Hertz is a cycle per second, so at 60 Hz, the screen will refresh the image 60 times per second. This is why, on games, it is almost pointless to get frame rates past 60. Native resolution is the optimal resolution for an LCD-based monitor, if running at native, you should get 1:1 pixel mapping. Operating an LCD monitor at resolutions outside native, you will get stretched images and image errors.

3939.png

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

Leaving it on the native refresh rates is a good idea, as it can muck up the image pretty bad which happened to me last night.

>Michael 

#14 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

I got the new nVidia video card. Seems well made, has some nice rubber type protective caps over the connections and connectors. I had bought this for my Dell, but I also have an XP eMachine that does have an intermittent video issue with one program I run (jAlbum). It has integrated ATI video and I cannot get newer drivers (2007?) nor successfully install an ATI package that was supposed to work. I had an older laptop also with ATI and that had video problems also. Thus I am not a fan of ATI video (I guess now AMD). Besides that, the Dell has been looking very good since I reset it to use "Clear Type" and (easily) downloaded and installed August 2011 nVidia drivers for the integrated video.

The card did not just slide right in. It fits in the front by the clip, but just won't fit flat against the back so there is a slight gap even applying a bit of force. I think this is an eMachine problem as they are not engineered near as smoothly as the Dell. In any event, the card WORKS! I've tried three different sized monitors and while it's hard to be specific, images look very nice and I cannot recreate the jAlbum video issue. The eMachine design has the card positioned so the incorporated fan is UNDERNEATH. In the Dell, the fan would be ABOVE the card. No idea what that does for cooling efficiency.

Google has multiple sites on how to install. And each site seems to have their own idea! I just jammed the card in and turned on the pc. NO bios change business involved. I then put in the cd that came with it. The first thing it did was ask me about AUDIO drivers! I installed their suggested AUDIO drivers. I had to eventually search the cd to find the XP VIDEO driver (they gave me TWO, 266.58 and a 266.78???). I took the .58. I then had the same system tray nVidia icon as in the Dell. I normally don't like things in the tray, but this one is ok. Selected the monitor's resolution and things seem quite good; bright, crisp, clean. It's like drinking a $100 bottle of wine. Do you really, really know it's $100 or maybe it's $35 bottle. Gamers would likely know, not me although if pressed, I would say I have a better picture now. It says the minimum power requirement is 350W (based on an IntelCore2Extreme processor Qx9650). I haven't checked that against my 300W supply and marginal processor, but everything is still working.

This video card only has VGA and DVI out. You can get an optional little plug that goes into the DVI and makes it HDMI. I think the reason I got the AUDIO drivers is because HDMI can also carry AUDIO. I'm happy, I can hear and see things and I don't have the jAlbum video issue all for $15 AFTER rebate and of course, 14 hours of research. A bargain. Thanks all for the counsel.

Edited by mrag, 13 October 2011 - 02:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users