Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s4johnso

s4johnso

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding a motherboard that will be able to take all of my components. The components in question are an AMD Phenom II quad core black edition cpu and two 260 gtx graphics cards. I have a friend rebuilding my computer and he claims nothing out there fits the bill. Looking for a second, third, or fourth opinion so I didn't just make a hundred dollar processor mistake. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

What is the exact model number of the Processor you bought, and the only requirement for the video cards you should adhere to is the power requirements and SLi.

#3 s4johnso

s4johnso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

This is the CPU I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

#4 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

For SLI, you're going to want to find a recent-model nVidia chipset motherboard, due to the fact that only nVidia makes SLI cards.

Basically, you'll want a recent model AM3 or AM3+ (more upgradeable in the future) board. AM3+ I believe supports AM3 CPUs, though you'll want to check up on that to make sure.

If you go to nvidia's website (http://www.nvidia.com/) you can find information on their recently released chipsets, including what they support.

You'll want to go with something supporting 740a, 750a, 780a, or 980a SLI chipsets, according to their site, and you'll want an AM3 motherboard not an AM2+ as that will work with DDR3.

Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users