Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop crashes when logging on in normal start-up mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cramie10

cramie10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Okay, so I've got a really weird problem.

I've got a Compaq laptop, which was working well up until this morning at about 11 am.
I was running everything as I usually do until I tried to open up internet explorer, and it crashed. Everything seized up and nothing was happening so I just turned it off. May or may not have been a coincidence that I was turning internet explorer on when it Crashed.

On rebooting I loaded it up in normal start-up mode, and it's done various different things. The first time, the log on screen loaded up and I typed my password, but when I pressed enter it Crashed again.
The next time I tried to load in normal mode again, and this time I successfully got past the log on screen to find that when it loaded MSN as it always does, I tried to minimize it and it had crashed.
So then I loaded in safe mode and everything runs beautifully. I took all the start-up programs out of the folder, and disabled a bunch of the unnecessary start-up applications. Rebooted in normal mode and had the same problem. It hung when I clicked the start button to go to control panel.
Loaded in safe mode and checked error log in comp mgmt, nothing out of the ordinary there apart from all the critical errors I've caused by rebooting when its crashed, and the resulting errors saying there was an unexpected reboot.

My guess is that it's a service that not working and causing everything to just crash, which would be why it works in Safe mode. However what I don't want to have to spend time doing is running in normal mode, beginning with no start-up services and working through all of them until I find the culprit. That's time consuming and possibly damaging to my computer.

In terms of what it does when it hangs-
No weird noises
Screen remains the same
Fans continue running as normal. (They don't grind or anything)
The mouse will still move, but as far as I can tell the keyboard doesn't. The mouse moves but doesn't interact with anything (things don't light up when you hover over them like usual in windows 7)

It's odd because it doesn't overheat or anything; like its working really hard trying to make a service run, if you leave it to see if it will work again it actually calms down, if you catch my meaning. The fans get quieter and it's like you've just left it on the desktop.

I've tried system restore of course, and Chkdsk, both of which were completed successfully but have had no effect. (ChkDsk did return some errors, but sorted them out and there is no change in the problem)

I'd appreciate any help you could give me, I'm normally good with solving this sort of thing but I'm a bit stuck on this one.

Many Thanks

Matt S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users