Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nastiest Virus Ever Seen - Help Please!?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 denihilation

denihilation

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hi i have a major problem, hoping someone will be able to help:

- got a virus the other week, think it replaced my winlogon.exe file as it was a running process and taking up all my CPU makin things run slow (i have fast laptop)

- so i download adaware pro + firewall (i know i should have had it before but is a new laptop) do a scan, removed 7 viruses, inc. 1 called Playtime.exe that kept saying it had been removed over n over while running scan.

-then i find a file at C:\ that had replaced my homepage, so i delete it along with the accomanying file which am sure was part of virus. then i run scan again and this time it is clean. my laptop is STILL slow though, i know it is still there. so i give up and leave it.

- a week later i try to go on online banking and after i type in my login details it takes me to www.grinv.nukleon.biz or something. weird foreign website. i assume my bank has messed up. later i realise "ooooh bleep" look for 'playtime.exe' and it isn't there - but 'paytime.exe' was. playtime replaced by paytime? i was vvvvvery worried.

- got a tech support guy to look at it. he spends 2 hours removing it from everywhere, finds about 7 files that should be there including msoff.exe which is apparently the banking virus. it wouldnt let him download microsoft updates, and it was raping my broadband connection even though we werent doing anything the down/up stream was going insane.

- after 2 hours of removing viruses and watching them return on startup he gave up - handed me a copy of windows XP pro and told me to install it with XP password on the back of my laptop.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM!!!: i tried running the windows setup, finally got it working after much hassle, and now it asks me for the password, i type it in, it says wrong password! The one on my laptop is for professional, but the CD is professional + SP2 so does that mean my password won't work?? EITHER WAY - i am now stuck in a loop i can't get out of to return to windows, i am half way through windows setup and can't do anything.

PPPPPPPPLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE Help :thumbsup:

Edited by denihilation, 25 January 2006 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users