Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thrax

Thrax

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I have a Compaq nx6310 has been a great laptop ... booted through POST and then goes to black screen witha curser in upper right corner. I first removed all ram, then cd drive , network card , and hard drive with no luck. of course when I removed the hard drive I did get the generic error message telling me Hey u have no hard drive ...

I have run the disk dianostics that come with the laptop and I also made a boot cd from Hitachi and both say the drive is fine

Booted with a xp disk

Ran chkdsk /r (would not let me run /f ) ??
did find and reapired a error

Attempted to do fixmbr but got the "not a standard Master boot record error" .. so I backed off it

did fixboot said it had replaced the boot record .. still no progress

Deep down inside I want to sys the drive (I know Im showing my age) but I will let you tell me whats next

Thanks in advance

Paul
Life is too short to spell right on the internet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thrax

Thrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Fixed ..I ran the fixmbr and it boots .... and now its slam full of malware .... gheesh ...I see combofix in my future

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

If you have a malware problem...I suggest that you post it in the appropriate malware forum here at BC.

If you are considering ComboFix as a "solution"...I suggest that you read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html .

Judging from the activity levels of the BC malware forums...and the posts that I see in the O/S and hardware forums where members have tried things on their own...the success rate is high for the malware forums...and low for those "do-it-yourselfers", many of whom subsequently turn to the malware forums for assistance.

Louis

#4 Thrax

Thrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hello Hamulis

As I first thought it was a boot problem ..since it wouldnt boot ... I read in Microsoft that the fixmbr error I got is common and they recommended doing the fix .. Mods can lock this thread .. computer is back to booting and maleware is gone

Thanks I love this site

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback and compliment...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users