Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique startup/shutdown issue - known cause, but what is solution?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DevonK

DevonK

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

The issue: very slow bootups in XP (to the point where an ATI app gives an error message that the video driver isn't loaded - it does eventually, after about 90 seconds). Also slow shutdowns.

The event viewer shows the apparent problem - error message on bootup is "The DCOM Server Process Launcher service hung on starting", and after bootup, services.msc shows the process as "starting" not "started". However this is in fact incorrect - based on 2 facts: Process Explorer shows the service as running, with a few dependent .exe's running underneath it; and certain functions that will not work when I boot with DCOM server process launcher disabled (which by the way solves the speed-of-boot issue) such as my Creative sound card tools are working fine when this service shows as "starting" - as does Autoupdate, which needs this service as well. So the problem is not with the process but the way it is being incorrectly monitored. A search on this forum and via Google found nobody with the same identified problem.

I think this issue arises as an aftereffect of a rootkit virus infection which Gringo of the malware response team on this forum helped me to remove - my system now scans clean with several trojans etc removed and my log thread with him is finished, but he was stuck on this issue.

Solutions tried:
1. reinstall of SP3 (Gringo's suggestion)
2. ran SFC /SCANNOW - no problems reported.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DevonK, 08 October 2011 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

<<I think this issue arises as an aftereffect of a rootkit virus infection which Gringo of the malware response team on this forum helped me to remove.>>

IMO...one of the problems with malware...is that removal of the malware is not the only consideration. Ruling out hard drive/partition complications...any number of system files may be damaged or missing.

Running sfc /scannow, using the appropriate disk, attempts to overcome this possibility. It's not always successful.

Malware aside...there are any number of "mysterious issues" with Windows that can only seemingly be overcome...by a clean install. I can't tell you why that is, other than the complexity of a system is something we all seem to dismiss too often.

Louis

#3 DevonK

DevonK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the response - what about the option of trying a "repair install"? I have created a slipstreamed SP3 bootable XP disc. What would I lose in my current setup if I do this - all my audio/video drivers?

Also I ran Scannow from a command window in normal mode. Is there a better way to run it?

Edited by DevonK, 08 October 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

The sfc /scannow command...and a repair install...should result in the same status for the O/S.

If you have done one, I see no point in doing the other.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

A repair install of XP...should remove all installed critical updates that lie beyond the date reflected by the install media. An install CD with XP, SP3...would not contain the many critical updates since issuance of SP3.

Louis

#5 DevonK

DevonK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Louis,

It looks like I used sfc correctly.

I think I may have come up with a workaround to speed my boot but I need your advice on one step:

1. Set the DCOM Server Process Launcher service to "manual" to allow fast bootup
2. Create a .bat file that starts up the service- it would contain this pathname/command for the executable: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
3. Put the .bat file in the Startup folder so it's a startup item
4. Use the option in WinPatrol to make this a "delayed startup item" so that it does not interfere with the main part of my bootup.

Can you tell me the text I should have in the .bat file for this to work? Thanks. (I thought about another .bat file to shut the service down before shutdown but as the system will not shut down the service through services.msc because the system does not "know" it is fully started I doubt this would work - maybe I can do it through procexp but it's not worth the bother).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

:), I can't help you...you are asking about processes and software I've never used nor have the skills to advise about.

My approach to computers is simple and built upon experiences and the ability to read...I don't try to be programmer, "expert", or attempt much beyond what it seems any idiot like me ought to be able to do :).

Louis

#7 DevonK

DevonK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Louis - do you know anyone here I could direct this enquiry to?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

Any post in the O/S boards...is open/available to any member who wants to respond.

That includes this topic.

Louis

#9 DevonK

DevonK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

FYI, I did get my workaround to function (NET START "Servicename" was the command to start the named service in the batch file), plus I set up a custom batch file for quitting that gets an immediate shutdown using certain switches on the shutdown.exe command. So now I have full DCOM functionality with a fast bootup and shutdown. :thumbup2:

Edited by DevonK, 08 October 2011 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users