Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Wont Run, Shuts Down My Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 baileybull

baileybull

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

Arrgh. I run Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Ad-Aware, but as of late Ad-Aware gets through about 200 files, finds an infection or two and then shuts-down, and restarts the computer. I uninstalled AdAware and ran AVG and Microsoft Anti-Spyware to clean things up. I reinstalled AdAware. Same thing is happening. I don't know if this is related, but I can't run HouseCall either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:08 AM

Hi B.
I also have had some problems with Ad-Aware SE, it seems to me that the second last update I downloaded, I believe it was at the end of Dec. messed up the program. It would scan up to a Typelib file then the program would hang there and would not start up again, a look at the Task Manager and the message was "this program is not responding" and I would have to shut it down from there. I reinstaled Ad-Aware, updated it, and now scans to the same Typelib file, it stalls there for about 2 or 3 minuets, then starts to scan again. while it is stalled at that file I get the same message from the Task Manager. After it gets by that file, Ad-Aware scans okay from there. I guess I am lucky that it did not shut the computer right down, but it dos try to lock up the whole system when it is at that file. A friend of mine says he is having the same type of problem on his computer, but on a different file though.
Good Day,
Wink

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

I just ran a "smart system scan" against hard drive wiith about 20 Gig of stored data without any problems. You might try running Ad-Aware SE in Safe Mode....
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:43 AM

Hello,
I did run Ad-Aware in Safe Mode, before and after I reinstalled it, and it makes no difference. While it is hung on that Typelib file the CPU usage is 100%, during the rest of the scan the CPU usage is between 51% to 73%. I did notice that when using Smart Scan, the hang time was shorter for some reason. Anyway, I can still do a Full System Scan after I reinstalled Ad-Aware, and I am happy about that, but there is a problem there, and I suppose other computer systems would react differentially to a situation like that, including shutting down.
Have a great day,
Wink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users