Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I might have a bagel for breakfast.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Der Gothmann

Der Gothmann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Okay everyone, I am in dire straights. Last night, I downloaded a virus, possibly attached to some video-converting software I was trying out to turn .MKV into .AVI. Regardless, of the reasons, I am now infected, and desperately need some assistance.

I am running:

O.S.: Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q (LGA 775)
Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTS 250
Audio: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titatium Audio Processor (WDM)
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
HDDs: E) 977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 ATA Device (SATA)
F) 488GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (SATA)
C) 156GB Seagate ST3160023AS ATA Device (SATA)

The most frustrating part is that my backup blew up not-so-long-ago, and I haven't been able to afford a new one yet, or - believe me - I would have one by now. The combined data on these drives represents almost a decade of collected work which I would honestly save in a house fire, rather than all my other possessions.
It just needs to be made clear that I cannot lose this data. It will ruin me.

Known symptoms:

So far, the symptoms and similar information I have experienced are as follows:
Avast! stopped working and refuses to open citing: "AvastUI.exe is not a valid win32 application".
I cannot uninstall, repair or re-install Avast! antivirus.
Other antivirus software does not install properly, or shortly, disappears as though it were never there.
I cannot achieve SAFE MODE from boot, but I can reboot into SAFE MODE via "MSCONFIG".
I have scoured the whole system with Avast! Anti-rootkit scanner with no luck, (it found 3 hidden registry items, but possibly froze solid, not allowing me to remove them or, in fact, do anything with the information it provided me.
The whole system is slower than frozen treacle on a hill, and frequently freezes solid for anything between 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
Most programs relating to the system, (Task Manager, System Restore, Start Menu, Control Panel, etc.) take between 3 and 10 minutes to load on average, with the record being Ctrl-Alt-Del, which I attempted at about 21:30 last night, and forgot about until after I went to bed at arse-end-of O'clock, (only upon re-entering the living-room did I actually see the screen go black for 2-3 minutes, and then display the Ctrl-Alt-Del options screen.)
I have attempted to use the "W32.Beagle@mm" Removal Tool by Symantec, (in NORMAL MODE and SAFE MODE,) but to no avail. This does seem to be the best fit I have so far for the virus, though.
I ran a full scan via Malwarebytes, but nothing was found.

I am now out of ideas.
Upon the behest of someone in another forum, I ran ComboFix, (I followed the instructions to the letter! I don't want to screw up my system any more than it is!)
It soon became clear that the guy in the other forum didn't have a clue what he was talking about, and the ComboFix readout is just so much marsh-gas to my eyes.

As I have a copy in front of me, I will post the readout for your inspection if you so desire. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to an exorcism to rid my PC of the devil.

Thanks guys!

Devin.

Edited by Der Gothmann, 08 October 2011 - 06:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer wiz45

Computer wiz45

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Since you run Combofix you should go to the Malware Removal Team. Follow this guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and post the Combofix log there too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users