Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post rootkit removal woes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Softscience

Softscience

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum, so first, hello to all, and I'm hoping and wishing that somebody here can help.

Earlier this summer my laptop caught a very stubborn malware program that masqueraded as a Windows security upgrade. I first attempted to remove it with Mcaffe, and when my computer came up clean I though I was ok. Then several days later things began to slow down and freeze up. I installed MS security essentials as suggested by some friends. I was able to detect the rootkit virus first with MS security Essentials and then with Loaris Trojan remover. While these programs detected the bug (Aluron something or other) they were unable to remove it.

Things became progressively worse with time. The most frustrating changes included my computer being unable to fully re-emerge after it went into screen-saver mode, my track-pad's tapping function coming back online (and my subsequent inability to turn it back off), and the frequent stalls and crashes. Particularly when logged into the web.

I downloaded Kaspersky's Tdsskiller program, and it seems to have removed the Alueron virus. At least when I ran the program a second time it didn't detect anything. However, my system still is messed up. I'm unable to turn on automatic updates, nor can I run MS Security essentials. I attempted a system restore, but my when the computer rebooted it said the restore was not successfull. When I try to, a DOS screen blinks on for a split second, vanishes, and then nothing happens. I suspect this may be due to having Loaris up and running?

I ran a loaris scan and it detected a ton of worms that were not visible before I ran the Kaspersky program. I'm removing them now, but I would like to know if I need to rewrite my whole boot sector to bring my system back to normal? And if so, then how?

Thanks in advance for any insights you folks can provide.

best,
Ralph

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2011 - 08:39 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users