Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

So I'm building a new computer for a friend, nothing fancy just something that will make it through college.

Anyways, the computer is running
RAM: 4 gigs
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Processor 3.21 GHz
Hard Drive: 500 gig Sea-gate
Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
Graphics card: No card just motherboard internal

Her old computers motherboard died, so I removed the hard drive specked out a computer and built it.
Everything is running fine, but when I tried to access the old hard drive it said I did not have access.
I changed the security settings to be open to everyone to try and view the files but so far it only lets me go through the directory and open empty folders even though the drive says 71 gigs used. While I managed to grab some music files from her iTunes, I cannot view pictures, documents, or anything else that might be hidden.

While I am not entirely sure, I think the old computer was running xp based on the file system hierarchy changes between xp vista and windows 7.

The two fixes I'm looking for are either one that will allow me to view the hard drive completely and pull off the files she requested.
(which i've done before but cannot remember)
or
Emulate and boot from the hard drive
(never actually done or even know if its possible but if it is it would really come in handy)

Using the old computer in anyway is completely out of the question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

This may be what you need:

How to Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder in Windows 7

The key phrase here is "take ownership" (and this is not solely related to Vista/Win7; it happens with XP too).
Try a google search of vista and/or win7 with "take ownership" and you will get lots of relevant results.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Viro

Viro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Yes that was what I was looking for, however after completing the ownership process, I am still unable to view any photos or documents that previously existed on the hard drive. Any ideas?

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:26 AM

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the files/folders may be hidden. Try the following:

How to show hidden files in Windows 7
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Viro

Viro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:38 AM

Sorry should have included that in my main report. I did that already its force of habit.

If you can't think of anything else, Thank you for your help. I will continue to think on the situation to try and resolve the issue its not the first time and doubtfully the last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users