Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowwww XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 auntna

auntna

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hi Everyone!

Need some advice. I am cleaning up my aunt's machine. Her XP is behaving strangely. It is very slow to operate for awhile after booting up and then will gradually get faster and seems almost normal for awhile. Then it will slow to a crawl again. I click on something and have to wait sometime minutes for it to do anything. I did all the Windows maintenance, ran CCleaner and RevoUnistaller on some junk, took out the non-working AVG and replaced with Avira. I also got most of the windows updates on since her computer had been off the internet for over a year. Ran Malewarebytes and Spybot and found some adware and something that was a bypass to windows firewall; can't remember all.

So after all that cleaning and reorganizing the files it still goes back to the slow behavior. It is a bit better but not where it should be. It will also do a strange closing of the window. It will sort of scroll down from the top slowly. I have all the fancy stuff turned off for better performance so I think this is just a sign of its slow behavior. I don't know what else to do. I think there may be something in her start up that needs tweaked more and maybe there is something that runs in the background to slow it down on occasion. Maybe the windows automatic updates or even the Avira update or scan? I think the Avira may be running slower than it needs to also. She also has a separate backup drive named D. Maybe it is doing something? I need help to get this cleared up in a couple days because I have to go back home from visiting her and will not be able to fix it.

Thanks for a quick response to help me figure this out.

Aunt Na

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2011 - 10:04 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

Click Start.

In the search bar type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click the Startup tab.

Take a screenshot(s) showing all items listed and attach the image(s) in your next post.

-------------------------------------------------------

Also, what is the make and model of the problem PC?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum

#4 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your help. See the Word file attached for the screenshots of the start up items.The computer is a Dell Dimension DE 051 with 256 RAM according to the properties screen. On the front of the casing however it reads B8110. It is running XP Home Edition 2002 with SP2 currently. I may be upgrading it to SP3 so the Avira can do its update to the new version. It keeps giving a nag screen for the free upgrade but then won't install because we do not have SP3.

I do not think it is infected although it could be. I think that the system just needs some tweaking.

#5 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

Well, I forgot to add the attachment but now I can't seem to find the add attachment button. Help!

#6 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Tried to post an image but can't seem to know how to do that either. Help!

Edited by auntna, 08 October 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#7 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

I will type up the start up list since I don't know how to attach it. Let me know if there is more info needed.Thanks!

smax4pnp
igfxtray
hkcmd
igfxpers
DMXLauncher
RealPlay
qttask
isuspm
issch
DLACTRLW
dumprep 0 -k
avgnt
Digital Line Detect

The ones below are not checked.
avgtray
MediaDetect
HPWuSchd2
MSKDetct
mcvsshld
Adobe Reader Spe...
HP Digital Imaging
HP Image Zone Fas...

#8 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Sorry, haven't heard from anyone and now I ran out of visit time at my aunt's house. I did found that there were two McAfee start up items that I unchecked. She does not have McAfee installed anymore but those items were left behind. I uninstalled the Avira and put in a fresh AVG 2012. But the scan slows the computer to an agonizing crawl and takes forever to run. I advised her that she needs a new computer with more memory. She only has 256 MB of memory which I realize is not enough to handle all the activity of the newer programming.She may be able to take it up to 512 but I know that is still behind the times.

I did change her virtual memory memory settings to 400/400. I hope that is okay. I'm not familiar with that.

Anyway, if there is anything else that anyone can think of let me know and if it is simple enough maybe I can talk her through the procedure over the phone.

Thanks all!

P.S. Please advise on where or how to attach to a post?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users