Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Downloading

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 railker

railker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Just did a full deep scan with Kaspersky, so shouldn't be viruses. It could theoretically be the site I'm downloading from, but I've seen mention of this particular problem on other forums for other reasons and with various solutions, but want to get an expert opinion on what is going on before I go about accusing the publisher of publishing damaged downloads.

I've downloaded files from this forum, a published modification for a game, and the download operates fine. I go to unzip the exe and run it and I get a notice that the file is corrupted. I ran the exe anyways with some caution, because I've used the mod before a number of years ago, and it installed the mod -- and gave me a number of notices that 'this file cannot be installed because it is missing/corrupt', whatever. Other than that, it'll complete the install relatively fine ...

But there aren't forums screaming with people going 'Why is the download broken?', so ... I'm tending to think it might be my computer that's the problem, especially getting the same error trying to download two completely separate modifications.

Attached is a Report from Everest on my system.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Past all of this, the first simple troubleshooting step I would try is: Have you tried downloading this on another machine and seeing if it unzips properly there without the "corrupt file" error? If so, it is likely one of two things:
1. Download manager or other software interfering with the download (possibly virus but you seem to have narrowed the possibility for that down).
2. Bad format or hard drive failure, such that the sector the file is being downloaded to is becoming corrupt.

I had a problem with this for a while with one OS, where within minutes of downloading a file by various means (HTTP, FTP, Torrent, or even copy from USB), the file would no longer match the file it had been. It would not match checksum and the file size would sometimes even vary, or in the case of Torrents, my client would indicate the file had downloaded bad and try to download again. I think at the time the OS was XP. Turns out it was my NTFS volume, needed a full erase and rebuild.

EDIT#1: #2 should really indicate that it is possibly the NTFS volume. Anyhow, onward.

EDIT#2: As an alternative, if you have not access to another PC, get a friend to download the file to their PC, and unzip, and determine if it has that "corrupt file" error.

You may be able to get them to bring you the install on a USB drive or something?

Edited by Nicholas Basso, 07 October 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#3 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

This comes with the territory. It seems you are downloading files illegally (and even if they are legal, they are modified.) I'm afraid I can't offer assistance, here. I strongly suggest you should delete the files and do a FULL system scan with a live Kaspersky CD ( http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk ). The reason the .exe won't launch is Windows (as dumb as Windows is) knows the file is harmful and is blocking it from executing.
Nosce te ipsum.

#4 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

This comes with the territory. It seems you are downloading files illegally (and even if they are legal, they are modified.) I'm afraid I can't offer assistance, here. I strongly suggest you should delete the files and do a FULL system scan with a live Kaspersky CD ( http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk ). The reason the .exe won't launch is Windows (as dumb as Windows is) knows the file is harmful and is blocking it from executing.

This kind of blanket statement appears to be extremely biased. No information was given by the original poster as to the source, legality, or even what the "mods" were. In addition, the statement is plain wrong. Windows has no "protection" against harmful files other than the warning that indicates the file was obtained via the Internet and to take caution launching it. The reason the .exe won't unzip via unzipping methods is because the unzip program detects the corruption. The self-extraction of the .exe also detected those corrupted files and notified the user.

This isn't a case of "illegal" or "modified" files - this is a user downloading a mod to a game. Such things are actually encouraged by smart game producers (such as Valve, Bethesda, ID Tech, Epic, etc) that encourage their users to make the games more long-lived by adding new functionality, though they are not supported by those game producers. There is no indication of illegality here.

While it is also possible the OP has a virus, such blanket and misleading statements are a disservice to troubleshooting in general, and in fact are extremely insulting to intelligent computer users.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

A silly little question. Why not just go to the producer of those games sites and download it from there? Surely their sites would have a the little tweaks for their own game.

#6 railker

railker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

A silly little question. Why not just go to the producer of those games sites and download it from there? Surely their sites would have a the little tweaks for their own game.

Actually, since the tweaks and mods are not developed by the game producers but rather by the players themselves (RCMP, New York, Los Angeles, etc), they are available only from the forum on which those players operate out of -- which is the resource for these modifications and everything's about these games. Far as the producers are concerned, they made the game, their job's done.

On another note, sorry for lack of reply on the actual problems. Got the New York mod to install and work, with a couple bugs I'm sure are just part of development. But there's other mods I still have trouble with, I'll get to troubleshooting those as to the above posts and see what information I can gather and how it rolls ...

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Actually, since the tweaks and mods are not developed by the game producers but rather by the players themselves

This seems to be what ngм is talking about. This usually means that it has been modified to suit the players computer settings.
I personally think that these mods and tweaks are not always suitable for all systems, all the time. :unsure:

>>(and even if they are legal, they are modified.)<<
This can cause problems as you do not know what O/S was always used, and if any computer used to modify was corrupt to begin with. :o

Just my take on it -
Regards -

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

My understanding is that modifying a copy righted program without the owners of such program permission is illegal.

#9 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

My understanding is that modifying a copy righted program without the owners of such program permission is illegal.

This depends ENTIRELY upon the EULA of the software.

As I said, many game manufacturers, including:
EA/Maxis (Sims 1,2,3)
Valve (Half-Life and all its friends)
Bethesda (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas)

All practically condone user-made modifications to their games, while providing the caveat that they are not responsible for those modifications.

The legality of this should not be in question, and to bring it in to question muddies the true purpose of this topic, which was to request information on what could have caused the corruption errors the OP experienced.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

I muddied the water because of this little rule in Bleeping Computer.
No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.
Yes you are correct to my understanding if the EULA permits such things then it's legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users