Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old HDD to new computer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

I recently posted about my computer not having any power. Turns out that the internal power supply is fried. Instead of investing more $ in a 5 year old computer, I went out and bought a new HP Pavilion p7-1020. However, all my documents and pics etc are on the old HDD (of an HP Pavilion a1640n).
The old system ran windows XP Pro and the new runs Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to take the old HDD out of the old computer and put it into the new one (maybe as a slave). How would I go about doing that? What cables do I have to buy? How do I set up after installing the old HDD so that I can retrieve my data and then maybe use that extra drive as additional storage?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

First off you'll need to determine what type of HDD the old computer had.
Most of the time, if it's IDE, a brand new computer won't have any IDE cables, and may not even have IDE ports, so you may be unable to connect it directly.
However, if the drive is SATA, you should be able to just purchase a new SATA data cable at a local PC shop and install it. The power supply should have an extra SATA power cable hanging around.

Once the hard drive is connected to power and data, plug in your pc's power, power on. Windows will detect the drive and give it a nice drive letter, likely E if your optical's D, or what have you.

Copy files as needed from one drive to another.

Once you are satisfied that all the data you care about is safely copied off, fully reformat the drive. This is good for two reasons:
1. Helps keep the NTFS volume itself clean and fresh.
2. Clears out the OS files and other files, so you can have all the space you need for extra storage.

I'll warn you, though, if your old HDD is original to the 5 year old computer, the old HDD may not have much life left in it, so I wouldn't trust it to mission-critical storage. I've had hard drives die in as little as 5 years, or last as many as 10. It depends on the quality.

--EDIT: I forgot to mention:
If it's IDE, you may be able to connect it using an external IDE->USB converter, making it like a USB hard drive. These devices can run from $15-$50 depending on quality, parts, brand, where you buy, etc.

Good luck.

Edited by Nicholas Basso, 07 October 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Motherboard Specs

You seem to have all SATA connections on the new system.

Louis

#4 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

My old HDD is 250 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Then...just connect the old hard drive to the new system as a xecondary (non-boot) drive.

If no drive problems, all files should be accessible...like any other storage partition/drive would be.

The exception to this would be the files which are under the Docs & Settings grouping. You will probably be denied access until you take ownership of those files.

Windows 7 Take Ownership - http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Louis

#6 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

So.... I have taken the old HDD out of my old computer and secured it into the extra HDD bay of the new. I have connected the old HDD via it's SATA cable to the motherboard (I think it's in the right port). Problem is I don't see any extra SATA power cables hanging around. Do I have to go out and buy one? Where would I connect it?

#7 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

So.... I have taken the old HDD out of my old computer and secured it into the extra HDD bay of the new. I have connected the old HDD via it's SATA cable to the motherboard (I think it's in the right port). Problem is I don't see any extra SATA power cables hanging around. Do I have to go out and buy one? Where would I connect it?

You traced the SATA power cables from the power supply, and it only offers ONE SATA power cable??? That seems... incredibly unlikely, for one, and extremely poor quality product for another.

If it only has two SATA power cables, and one goes to the optical drive, you could disconnect your optical drive for the short time while you are extracting the files from that 250 GB drive, but if it only has two I would SERIOUSLY consider contacting the manufacturer and asking them why their machine is completely un-upgradable. I should think, however, that you do have SATA power cables coming from your power supply. Most PSUs have 4 at a minimum.

As well, if it has extra molex (thick 4-pin) power connectors handy, you can obtain a Molex-Sata Power converter cable. Usually these go from one molex to two sata power connectors, providing power for up to two additional drives.

Hope this helps!

#8 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

I actually found the extra SATA power cable. I now have to buy the connector cable and jack into the old HDD. Will I have to manually partition the drives or is a separate drive automatically assigned?

#9 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

Windows will detect the existing partitions on the drive, and assign drive letters as needed.

I don't see why you'd need to buy a connector cable, as the extra SATA power cable should go into the power socket of the HDD, and the existing SATA data cable you said you had already. It will go into any SATA port on your motherboard. SATA can use any available port, and doesn't need them in particular order filled.

#10 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

I need to get the cable to go to the power socket of the HDD.

#11 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

OK. Got cable. HDD installed and running.
Is there any way to get/import to C drive my old Firefox bookmarks?
Also some folders say I do not have security rights to open and when I do change settings, files are either empty or I get a pop-up saying Windows cannot open file ...would I like to search for program that created it (or something like that).
I had MS Office suite installed on old HDD. How do I get it to run on new computer? Remember OS went from XP on old to 7 on new.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

<<Is there any way to get/import to C drive my old Firefox bookmarks?>>

I don't use Firefox but you can check the support site for it or use Google. In IE, you can just move the contents of the old Favorites folder...to the new Favorites folder and all is well.

<<Also some folders say I do not have security rights to open and when I do change settings, files are either empty or I get a pop-up saying Windows cannot open file ...would I like to search for program that created it (or something like that).>>

The files in Documents/Settings...normally behave this way, denying access when moved to a new system, hard drive, etc. where there is a different boot partition/drive. The fix is relatively simple, user must take ownership of the files. See my post in this topic of 8 Oct, 7:43 p.m.

<<I had MS Office suite installed on old HDD. How do I get it to run on new computer? Remember OS went from XP on old to 7 on new.>>

You need to reinstall any application that you want to run on the new hard drive...applications cannot be transferred from one system to another, other than by cloning the entire hard drive or previous O/S to the new hard drive.

Louis

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

<<Is there any way to get/import to C drive my old Firefox bookmarks?>>

Yes.

Open Firefox > Bookmarks > Unsorted Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import Bookmarks from HTML > Choose the old bookmarks HTML file
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users