Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing more ram

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 F C

F C

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

To be able to install more ram for my desktop is it as easy as finding a chip set that is compatible with my motherboard (speed, available spots, ect), buying it and gently pushing it into position? I want to add 4/8 gb ram to my desktop and im wanting to make sure that its just finding compatible chips and nothing else to hassle with. Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Pretty much yes

Try Crucial
They have a tool that will scan your computer & tell you what it can take
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Essentially yes. You just need to make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the RAM you select.

You can use the Crucial System Scanner to get some suggestions for compatible RAM modules. Then, you can either buy them directly from Crucial (the scanner only recommends Crucial-brand RAM, which is OK because Crucial is an excellent brand) or use the recommendation to find another product with similar or identical specs from another retailer.

Edit: I see that Eyesee beat me to the punch :P

Edited by Andrew, 07 October 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#4 F C

F C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thank you both very much, I am currently looking at this pair of chip sets as my upgrade, due to the good reviews and recommendations Ive heard. I currently have 2x2GB chips installed, would it be better to to get 4/8gb ram to go with the current 2x2gb, or should I just by 4x4gb chips? Money is not an issue, just want best performance out of this upgrade. Also, after the chips are placed in, is there any downloading needed to software wise install the chips or is it set and ready to go from the next boot up? Thanks again, FC.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

I would recommend using the same-size chip in each slot rather than mixing and matching 2GB modules and 4GB modules.

RAM chips never need drivers since the Operating System never actually "sees" the RAM itself. Your motherboard's chipset drivers (already installed) are all you need.

#6 F C

F C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Alright, thanks. Ill most likely just get 2x4gb ripjaws chips right now and see if that improves my performance enough to what Im looking for.

#7 F C

F C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Would it be worth the money to go from 9-9-9-24-2N to 8-8-8-24? Just want to make sure before I buy.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Ah, that's a little over my head; I haven't really figured out what the timings mean so I can't answer that one.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

Understanding RAM Timings Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26

Louis

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

That's handy, thanks Louis!

#11 F C

F C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Alright thank you. Now last question I promise. Between these two sets, which would be better for gaming?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-445&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461
The ripjaws have a slightly faster speeds to it and less Cas Lat. While the Sniper has a lower voltage and is recommended for high performance gaming. Downside to the Sniper, other then 9-9-9 speed, is that im not sure if its compatible with my AMD processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users