Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my graphics card dead? + should I replace it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adamlikesguitar

adamlikesguitar

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hola. So about a month and a half ago, my computer started having spazzing attacks where it would flicker and shake and the screen would go blank then come back on. Now it doesn't even work any more unless you're in safe mode (what I am using now). I obviously know its the not the monitor but I don't know what I should do now. Is the problem my graphics card? According to my device manager thing, I have a NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 card. I think that's a graphics card.

Can someone help me? Thank! :)

btw, I have a dell desktop.

Edited by adamlikesguitar, 07 October 2011 - 04:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jskill

Jskill

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

im having a sort of similar problem. random black screening etc etc. tried replacing drivers but that was not much help. still cant do anything graphically-intense. i still dont know how to tell if its some kind of driver issue, or a physical component issue, but if you find out how to tell, tell me lol.

#3 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

Reply to Jskill

Geforce FX 5200 card is a very primitive card by today's standards so don't expect much out of it for graphic intensity.

Reply to adamlikesguitar

Addressing the problem, a few reviews on Newegg.com said they were having issues with higher resolutions than the card allowed. For example advertised as allowing 2048 x 1536 but only being able to maintain 1600x1200. It is possible that the graphics card is rendering a screen size that is to large for it. Since safe mode starts using a lower default resolution/color scheme(sometimes), it is a possibility.

What I would suggest is if there is a port on the motherboard aside from the card for the monitor to plug into that instead to try and boot normally. This might require you to disable the graphics card in the device manager, just try the port first before disabling the device driver in device manager. If the motherboard port works then I would say the graphics card should either be replaced or just not used.

Else if you don't have an additional port, try installing an older driver or even a newer driver from the manufacturer.

It would also be helpful if I knew the operating system you are using to better accommodate the problem. Also how old is your computer? If your computer is still under warranty I suggest using it.

Hope this was helpful to you.

#4 adamlikesguitar

adamlikesguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, I know its a primitive card. lol. My computer is 7 or 8 years old and I'm running XP on it right now. I'll be buying a new computer in about a month or two but I kinda want to get it to boot normally.

So are you saying I should disable the card and attempt to boot in normal mode or actually remove the card from the computer?

#5 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

If you disable the driver in the manager it wont need to be taken out it simply wont work. Just try to use a built in video port on the computer. Not the card itself. This way you don't have to deal with removing hardware you just have to deal with the User Interface.

So yes, "disable the card and attempt to boot in normal mode" but don't use the graphic port in the back of the computer from the card. (if you even have another that is some computers don't)

Edited by Viro, 08 October 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#6 adamlikesguitar

adamlikesguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Alright, sorry if I'm not following but I don't know a lot about computer parts. Do I need to open up my computer and check something inside?

#7 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

Alright, I'll simplify then.

Use this picture with my poorly constructed example below. (btw I had way to much fun making this XD)
http://www.bsninc.com/images/PC_back.png

______
|x[x]|xx| <- power cord connection
|___|__x|
|xxx(__)| <- fan vent
|__xxxxx|
|xx|xxxx| <- The motherboard panel.
|xx|xxxx|
|__|xxxx|
|====|xx| <- motherboard slots added to the board, this is where your
|====|xx| current card is installed.
|====|xx|
_______
(the reason its not straight is because it keeps changing style sizes sorry about that disregard the white x's)

In the picture, the blue spots that are found in both the motherboard panel and the motherboard slots are VGA slots.
What you can do if you have both is plug into the motherboard connection instead of the graphic card since the graphic card doesn't work right now.
Sometimes the graphics card will still try to take priority so what you need to do is disable the graphic card only if this happens. You can do this via the device manager in safe mode.

To get to the device manager do the following.

For xp Operating systems
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/opendmxp.htm

For vista
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/f/opendmvista.htm

For Windows 7
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/open-device-manager-windows-7.htm

Once there You should see a "Display Adapter" tab
Open it and it should show you your graphics card there.
Right click and disable it. Then use the motherboard port.

If it works then its the graphics card, if it doesn't then its something else entirely.
Also its possible you don't have a motherboard built in video port (like vga) in which case you can't do this to find out if the graphics card isn't working.

#8 adamlikesguitar

adamlikesguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

I don't think I have one of those, but to be sure I'll link to a picture of my computer here so you can see for yourself. But if I don't have one, then should I disable the card through device manager? And another question, if you disable it and it doesn't do anything, can you re-activate it?

Thanks for your help! :)

Link to back of Dell Dimension 4600

Edited by adamlikesguitar, 09 October 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#9 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

No You shouldn't disable it since you have no other interface, since you don't have one then all I can conclude is there is no way to test it is the card or not, but I would suggest either buying a card or buying a new computer. Sorry for the late response.

#10 adamlikesguitar

adamlikesguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Well I don't want to spend money buying a new card if I'll be getting a new computer eventually. But that is quite unfortunate. :(

Oh well. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users