Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new graphics card and drivers - Black screen with white box cursor on start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 condor80

condor80

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hi, my video card died this morning so I installed one from a different computer. I have a three year old Dell Vostro 410 running XP Pro. I took out an nvidia G310DE from a different Dell computer and put it into my computer. I managed to get a display so I uninstalled the old ATI drivers, restarted and installed the new nvidia drivers. When I restarted, I got a black screen with a white square cursor after the windows splash screen. I can boot into safe mode with no issues though. I've tried the driver from the nvidia website, the dell CD, and let windows look for drivers. Each time, I get the same result.

I've been at this for the past 4 hours now and can't think of what else to do. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

<<I've tried the driver from the nvidia website, the dell CD, and let windows look for drivers>>

Why would you use the drivers from the Dell CD...which I would think are only for the Intel onboard video?

Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS settings?

Did you completely uninstall all the ATI software...both via Device Manager and via Add/Remove Programs?

I think I'd take a look at Device Manager and see what's reflected there.

Louis

#3 condor80

condor80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Why would you use the drivers from the Dell CD...which I would think are only for the Intel onboard video?

Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS settings?

Did you completely uninstall all the ATI software...both via Device Manager and via Add/Remove Programs?

I think I'd take a look at Device Manager and see what's reflected there.

Louis

lol, the Dell CD has drivers for all the available graphics cards for the other Dell computer, which included the G310.

The only option on the BIOS is to change it from PCI to PCIex. I used both and got the same results.

I'm pretty sure I removed everything. Is there a complete ATI removal tool and I guess an nvidia one too now?

Right now, it just says Video Controller (VGA Compatible) since I uninstalled the drivers. When I had the Nvidia drivers installed I checked the device manager in safe mode and the display driver did say nvidia G310.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

If you installed a physical card properly...and it works...there should be an item in Device Manager with a yellow question mark. The yellow question mark indicates that drivers need to be installed for such hardware items.

If there is no such item...and you have no visible evidence that Windows/your system detects an installed card...I'd say that you need to verify that this card is detected/working...in a different system.

Go Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Components/Multimedia/Display and click it.

Post the first 6 lines reflected.

Louis

#5 condor80

condor80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

In the device manager, under Display adapters I have "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" and there is a yellow exclamation point on it. It does display to the monitor though like when you first install windows without any drivers.

I have already tried to install the drivers through here, but I get the same black screen with the white square after the splash screen. I can move the white square around with the mouse though, so I'm assuming that's the cursor.

Here are the lines from System Information:

Name Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A66&SUBSYS_90601B0A&REV_A2\4&B71B61B&0&0008
Adapter Type Not Available
Adapter Description Not Available
Adapter RAM Not Available
Installed Drivers Not Available

Edited by condor80, 07 October 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

That's the nVidia device...which means that the correct drivers are probably not installed.

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/TroubleShooting/RemoveUnusedDriversandDevices.html

Remove Unused Drivers - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6017628.html?tag=nl.e101

I suggest that you carefully follow the steps in either of the links I provided above...then run the chkdsk /r command...and reinstall the correct drivers after the system reboots from the chkdsk /r.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen, hit Enter. Reboot the system, the command will execute...the system will then boot into Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users