Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Xp And Install Windows 95.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:25 AM

Hey!
I got yet another computer from a garage sale and has XP without Authentication! And for some reason I cant register and I found a Windows 95 CD lying around in the house and I want to install it but after inserting the Windows 95 CD and reboot the computer it doesn't pick it up? I changed the Boot Sequence but didn't work? So can some please help me delete and remove XP and Install 95?

Thank You in Advance.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:37 AM

Go to Boot Disk.com and download the boot disk for your copy of '95. When you boot, use A:\fdisk to delete and format the hard drive prior to trying to install '95.
You sure you want to do that? If the computer is fairly modern you could pick up a copy of Windows 2000 Pro for about $60 on eBay.
One of the Live versions of Linux would be better than '95. Look at Puppy Linux. It is only a 60meg download and it will run from the CD. If you like it then install it to the hard drive. There are several out there and they have complete support communities.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:40 AM

The computer is only worth about a hundred so not really supporting that and Linux is so confusing for me! I tried it few times but just didn't get it.

And Thanks alot Acklan!

How do I know if I have Original or Version B?

Edited by Professional, 25 January 2006 - 04:41 AM.

Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:47 AM

I would try the B version.
Puppy Liniux boots in about 2 minutes from the cd with no need for command line. You can be online with your DSL/cable in less than five minutes. If you don't like it reboot and it's gone for the 25 cost of a CD-R. Only 10min download with DSL/cable, and a whole lot better than '95.

#5 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:49 AM

Thanks downloading B right now and okay I might try Linux can I please have Direct Download Link as this was a bot confusing itself and does this mean Ill have to use the CD-ROM everytime I boot-up? And also can I please have a bit of basic instructions as I find the Linux Pupp Homepage confusing :sorry:

EDIT: And also about the programs can I use XP Appz on Linux? Or where can I download some basic appz and for the Internet? I am able to connect a wireless D-Linker Router to it I have the hardware but would it work with Linux Puppy?

Edited by Professional, 25 January 2006 - 04:58 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:06 AM

Update: Going for Linux currently downloading puppy-1.0.7-mozilla via Puppy Linux Website. Thanks Acklan! Just one thing: I am able to connect a wireless D-Linker Router to it I have the hardware+software but would it work with Linux Puppy? And do I still need to use the BootDisks from www.BootDisks.com?

Edited by Professional, 25 January 2006 - 05:07 AM.

Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:11 AM

Check out the link. It has a download plug in call wine that will allow you to run some windows applications. The 60meg program comes with alot of applications already. You can even use Open Office with it. Ceck it out. If you don't like it just don't start it again. I have given over 67 computers away to people thru my church and all I put on them was Puppy. I legally could not install windows. I could not afford that.

#8 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

Just a note about Windows 95, it won't run on NTFS, so will only accept FAT32
file system. If ever you want to try installing it make sure of this.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

#10 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:23 AM

Okay saw all that Thanks and just three more things Will I have to insert the Cd everytime I reboot? and I am able to connect a wireless D-Linker Router to it I have the hardware+software but would it work with Linux Puppy? And last but not least do I still need to use the BootDisks from www.BootDisks.com or a different bootdisk? Thanks for all the help Acklan and phantazy!
Posted Image

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

1) If you install it to the hard drive you won't need the cd. You can run it several way.I just recommended running from the CD till you were sure you want to use it.

2) It supports several wireless NIC and routers but you will have to check the forum to be sure. It uses DHCP as default, but you can configure Static.

3) If you want to boot '95 yes. If the computer will not boot a CD you can download a puppy boot disk from the puppy site.

You are welcome.

#12 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

Thank You. I would like to install it on my HDD and would like some instructions and "Check the forum" what do you mean by that? BC Forums? And I will download that Puppy BootDisks if it doesn't work.
Posted Image

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

The Puppy Forum

#14 Professional

Professional
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Oh okay Thanks!
EDIT: I found this for the BootDisk but not sure which one? http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

Edited by Professional, 25 January 2006 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

Here are the instruction to boot from a floppy if you cd will not boot...
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/boot2pup.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users