Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aHance

aHance

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

I apologize for not having all the brands and model numbers in front of me at the moment. Let me know if more info is needed and I can provide it for you.

A client had me set up an office that only had one network port. The office was to contain an IP phone, a network printer, and a computer.
Here is the set up (coming from a switch in the server room):

Network port to IP phone (which acts as a switch)
IP phone to 5-port D-Link switch
D-Link to computer and network printer

The phone works. The computer is connected to the network. The printer appears online and its properties/queue can be accessed.
However, no print jobs will go through. They just pile up in the queue. That applies for everyone on the network.
When the printer is plugged directly into the wall, others can print to it without issue. When the D-Link is plugged directly to the wall and then attached to the printer, it works as well.

When everything is plugged in, do I just have too many switches in the equation for print jobs to get through?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BarleyBo

BarleyBo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

Put the switch in front of the phone. I never put Phones in front of switches because they usually act as a bottle neck. You have enough ports on the switch for this so at least give it a try.

#3 aHance

aHance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Oops. I forgot to mention that I tried that.
That setup didn't allow the phone to work.

Could it be that, because the phone is powered via ethernet, it won't work when plugged into the D-Link?
If that's the case, I have the option of using AC power for the phone.
I should test that out.

#4 BarleyBo

BarleyBo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I did not think of the switch not being POE. Let me know if it makes a difference. I was at a location earlier today with a similar setup, and it was working with the ip phones behind the switch. But I had the phones plugged into an electrical outlet.

#5 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Oops. I forgot to mention that I tried that.
That setup didn't allow the phone to work.

Could it be that, because the phone is powered via ethernet, it won't work when plugged into the D-Link?
If that's the case, I have the option of using AC power for the phone.
I should test that out.

Its not powered by ethernet, its power over ethernet. it uses the 2 spare pairs in a 10/100 connection as power cabling, and requirea either a poe switch or a poe injector. note that a 1000 base needs all 8 conductors in a cat5 cable, so you limit your thoughput when you use the phone before the switch to 10/100

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users