Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth it to upgrade ram for a better version of Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

I am considering adding Linux to my older Compaq desktop. I am having a hard time finding out the requirements of each distro to be able to decide whether it's worth it to upgrade my Ram to get some better goodies on a newer/better distribution.

This is what I have:

5008US Compaq (5000 Series) Celeron 800MHz with 128KB Integrated L2 Pipeline Burst Cache, Up to 11MB Allocated as Video Memory, 40.0 GB Hard Drive. It now has something like 382 MB of Ram.

It seems that the 'best' version of Linux for it is OpenSuSE but it requires 512 MB ram, which would mean I buy another 256 stick, thereby just reaching the minimum (512 is all it can take).

Is there a 'lesser' version of Linux that will work without upgrading my Ram? Will I be missing out on some cool stuff if I don't install the needed ram and going to OpenSuSE?

So far it's not been easy to decide which distro to get. Is there that much difference? I suppose the prime reason for the switch is that I don't really trust using the internet with WinMe and upgrading it to XP would cost to much. And WinMe is terrible.

Thanks

Brian

PS Just to confuse things more, I am limited to using NetZero dial-up.

Edited by brian2009, 07 October 2011 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

OK. it looks like my post was asking about the same questions as Kaidacat? on here.

I don't think I'll upgrade my ram, not until I try some of the less demanding distros.

It looks like Mint, Bodhi, and Puppy are some obvious options.

Do they differ that much?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,987 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

Don't bother trying to get any Linux to work on dialup. Unless you are into sadomasochism.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Puppy is a good one, but I wouldn't expect a stellar experience from it. It's linux for easy and light, not linux for linux. It has some major advantages, but it's short in a lot of areas.

I've only booted Bodhi as a live CD. Beyond that I know almost nothing of it. But it seemed like it should work.

I like Mint. I'm using it now. If you get it, get the LXDE version. It's lighter. You can get that here.

Lubuntu might also work with that hardware. It's LXDE as well. I'd give you a link directly to the main site, but it doesn't seem to be responding just now. You can get it here, though.

There are others. But those are among the most complete and light.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

Well, some progress. I was able to d/l Bodhi and Puppy, of which I have so far been able to load Bodhi as a live cd. Haven't tried Puppy yet, but will. I'll try a few others as well.

It's somewhat annoying that I can't get my bios to boot from usb. Not sure if it's just too old or if my bios needs updating. It's avb. updates end at 2001, so I just think its too old. Odd because it has 4 usb ports. The only choices it offers are 3.5 Floppy, Hard drive, or CD.

I'm wondering if I can really use Linux for much of anything with only having dial-up. I'm not ready to go satellite yet and cable isn't out here. It (linux) seems to be highly tied to the internet to do much of anything. Can I get programs as a d/l via another computer and get them installed manually?

I don't want to erase my ME yet so I'm going to have to create a partition eventually. Not done that before but I guess I'll learn.

Actually, the computer now has XP on it but it will expire soon. I just extended 30 days but I think this is the 2nd 30 day extension. I tried to reinstall the ME but it ran into an error about 7% into its factory reinstall.

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

I haven't done dialup for a long time. Not since about 1999. But I don't remember it being that much trouble to get working, even in the days before major advancements in linux took place. You might try it to see if it's as hard as claimed.

This may help with the bootable thumb drive part. I didn't use this, but I did the same thing a long time ago. Trouble is, it's been so long now that I forgot exactly what I did to make it work.

If you can boot from CDs OK, write to me private and we can probably work something out to make your transition easier. At least we can probably make things easier than trying to get started with all of this via dialup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users