Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angelt610

angelt610

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

Recently I have noticed several very odd things going on in my user account. None of these have affected the other users. 1. Search no longer works in the start menu. 2. MS Word cannot access the internet and pops up some error messages about 7 times before I can open or close the prog. 3. Help does not work. At all. It says to go to the Windows site or PC manufacturer site. 4. HP Assisant does not work. 5. When I DL something, first it hangs, then says Free Download Manager needs to be reinstalled. (It has been uninstalled but refuses to go away.)6. When I checked my startup progs in CCleaner, the very first entry is something called "fsm" and seems to be nowhere in the computer. I made a new user account and it seems to work just fine with none of the above problems. Multiple AV scans have shown nothing but a few tracking cookies. I realize this is a long-winded post, but if anyone has any idea what's going on and what I can do to get rid of it. Thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Download Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Check all the tabs for the "fsm" entry. Does it list a location for that file? If so, post it here

As for free download manager, download and install Revo Uninstaller and use it to completely uninstall fdm (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)

Last, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 angelt610

angelt610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

OK. It is listed under HKCU, but there is no location, nothing. I did try to disable it in CCleaner, but that didn't work. I can't for the life of me figure out what this is. So far I've had no problems with the new user account. OH, something else I noticed when I made the new user account: there's another account that appeared out of nowhere, a Machine Account, standard user, password protected (I changed the password immediately but otherwise didn't mess with it). I have NO idea where this came from..... :(

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Could this possibly be fsm telecommunications? http://www.telecom.fm/wireless.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Right-click on the entry in Startup Control Panel and "delete"

Edited by Allan, 08 October 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

Here is another possibility.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users