Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic card issue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CheckNerd

CheckNerd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

hey there!

I recently purchased an HP DV6 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics. My laptop's screen tends to fade and then lighten up again and this happens randomly. It's not a frequent occurrence but i've noticed it generally happens when my laptop is not connected on AC power.

do u guys think its a problem or a problem that will occur?

Any help in this regard will be appreciated. Needless to say u guys are doing a wonderful job.

Regards

CheckNerd
Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

It sounds like it's due to power fluctuations.

If it only happens when the laptop is running off the battery, is at a certain percentage remaining?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 CheckNerd

CheckNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

hey

thanks for the reply. well it happens when the laptop is fully charged and is off AC power.

so u dont think its a graphic card issue as such?

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Try removing the battery and plugging in the charger.

Use the laptop like this for a while and see if the problem presents itself.

If it works properly, then that will give more evidence to my theory that it's due to power fluctuations.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

On battery, my DV9000 dims the screen backlight after a few minutes of inactivity, to conserve power.

When you say it happens randomly, does it ever occur when the laptop is in active use?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 CheckNerd

CheckNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

hi again

platypus - well yes, it does that in active mode too. the screen gets brighter (but its a weird sort of brghtness) and then fades away.

thanks guys

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

So it's more a case of becoming oddly bright, then going back to normal rather than going dim then coming back to normal? If it does this in the course of normal use, typing documents, web surfing etc, it doesn't sound right, and it would probably be best to get it seen to under warranty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 CheckNerd

CheckNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

hey.. thanks guys.. i got it checked and its a power conservation problem more than anything else.. thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users