Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD extremely slow, makes poor contact.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

My 1 TB Western Digital external hard drive where basically everything is backed up, became extremely slow and contact to the desktop and laptop with the USB cable is also not adequate at all.I cannot transfer files at this stage from the HD to the desktop.

I opened the drive and saw that it looks like an internal hard drive. Could I try to use it as one? Or at least to get the data off?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Any advice please?

Edited by avz10, 07 October 2011 - 03:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

It is just and internal SATA hard drive in an external enclosure. Essentially that is what all external drive are. As long as you have SATA ports and power you can install it in the computer to access the data.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 avz10

avz10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

When I have time, I try to get this going, but am not succeeding.

I searched the internet and found that these HD's have some encrypting build in and you need the USB port for that.

Be that as it may, either through the USB or fitted internally- the desktop does not recognize the hard drive.

What I have read and tried are the following:

"Use the WD's disaster recovery process"

- could not use it as HD not recognised.

"Some external HD's dont get regognised in Windows 7 until you restart the PC. Try this: Connect your HDD and restart your computer. Go to BIOS. If it is shown in there, go to..."

Not shown

If that doesn't work, remove all USB devices, restart in Safe Mode, open Device Manager, double click Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click each and uninstall.

Well, none work.

• I am now prepared to clean the HD when any computer recognizes it and use it as a third internal HD.
  • I know how to connect it internally, but not sure how to set-up everything up.

Any help with this?

Desktop specs:
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit; MS Office Professional Plus 2010; 2.80 GHz Intel Core i5-2300; Multi-core (4); HDx2- 160GB; 500GB.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Well, you could try using a different (third-party) HDD enclosure.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

Try using a different external set up. I'm not totally sure about these, but I can tell the one you have picture looks like it might cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users