Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start/Insta Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kufskr

kufskr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

So, I built my own computer and have done various modifications to it (most recently putting it into a new case and adding in a couple of old hard drives for a RAID array). That was about a week ago. Yesterday it randomly shut down, at first I thought it was a power outage but everything else in the house was on.

I looked down and the LED on my mother board was still on so i pushed the power button and it started up fine. Just asking if I wanted to start in safe mode. ok whatever.

Then today it did it again and I was a little more worried. And then about 10 minutes later while I'm trying to find a solution it happens again and the third time, it doesn't start up. I tries to once (the fans and CPU fan start and instantly stop) and then nothing. All the while my the LEDh on my Motherboard is on.

if I turn of the PSU and back on I will get a "fakestart" once and then it won't at all.

I tried disconnecting all the drives just leaving the PSU, MB, CPU and Video Cards. and it's the same thing.

I'm thinking it's the Power Supply but want other opinions. Thanks in advance, it's greatly appreciated.
kufskr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Similar thing happened to an old pc of mine. turned out to be the thermal paste on the micro had dried out, and the micro was shutting it down to protect itself. could maybe bw your fault too

#3 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I just cleaned and applied some new thermal paste, but it's still doing the same thing. All the fans start to turn and immediately stop and then nothing. Until I turn the PSU of and then back on.

I need some advice, I THINK it's the PSU. But I'm trying to figure out what wattage to get.

I've got an quadCore processor,
nforce 780i MB,
6 drives,
6 GB RAM,
and 2 SLI GeForce 9800 GTs.
And my PSU was an antec 550W.

But I'm also planning on upgrading to a server board in the next few years because I primarily use my system for 3d animation and simulation. (realflow, FumeFX, Maya, etc). So i'm wondering if I should go ahead and grab like a 1200W PSU now anyway. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
kufskr

#4 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

I would suggest using your knowledge of your computer on a very specific calculator then over shoot for safety. (especially if you overclock)
Give this calculator a shot

http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Mine was within 150 of what I use now and have no problems with power consumption problems.
suggested:600watt
using: 750watt
(I was allotting for upgrades in the future)

#5 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

yeah that's what I was looking for, thanks. I need something over 1000W.

#6 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

you may try resetting the bios via the on board jumpers

#7 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

Thanks, definitely worth a shot, but sadly didn't work. :(

#8 AdobeJesus

AdobeJesus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

A bit of a late reply, but try starting the computer up with no memory in any of the slots. If the computer has a beep code then I would say yes its your PSU. If it does not produce a beep code with no memory in the motherboard, then either your motherboard or CPU is faulty.
AdobeJesus

#9 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

not at all! I planned on not ordering any parts until Monday anyway, so your timing is just fine.

I went ahead and disconnected everything but my PSU, MB, CPU and heatsink and It's still the same. No beep codes. but I was never getting any cause it never lasts long enough.

is there anyway, to tell if it's the PCU or motherboard?
Thanks again!

kufskr

#10 AdobeJesus

AdobeJesus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

not at all! I planned on not ordering any parts until Monday anyway, so your timing is just fine.

I went ahead and disconnected everything but my PSU, MB, CPU and heatsink and It's still the same. No beep codes. but I was never getting any cause it never lasts long enough.

is there anyway, to tell if it's the PCU or motherboard?
Thanks again!

kufskr

I left out an important detail. Make sure you have a internal speaker plugged into your motherboard or there is one in the case that is plugged into the MoBo. Some mobo's have built in speakers so if unsure just google the model number on your motherboard (should be around the CPU heatsink/fan region) and find the owners manual pdf file which is usually easy to find. look in there for beep codes or to see if it has an internal speaker.

Also try re-performing the test with no memory just like you did before. This time (not sure how many memory sticks you have, you may just have one) insert each memory stick module into a slot one at a time. Insert the first memory stick, turn on the computer and see if it functions properly, and so forth. Can be a memory issue. This will eliminate memory from the equation.

But if you do have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard and receive no beep codes then yeah its your motherboard or CPU more than likely. As far as I know there is no way to tell which is bad. I usually just replace the MoBo first and then if it does not work replace the CPU. GENERALLY, Motherboards go bad before CPU's in my experience.

It would be a smart investment to invest in a Power Supply tester btw
AdobeJesus

#11 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

yeah, The nForce 780i has a built in speaker. I was pretty sure, but I just googled it to make sure.

ok. I've pretty much come to terms with my Desktop being down and I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. I do a lot of 3d animation and could use something with a little more bang. I wanted to wait another year or so but obviously my computer felt otherwise.

I'm not expecting anyone to give me specific board or CPU models.

I just want to know things like, should I be going Intel or AMD right now. I haven't been paying any attention to what's been coming out the past few years.

I don't really want to spend more than $1500 on a new MB, CPU and RAM.

thanks!
kufskr

ps. adobeJesus (i like your name)

#12 kufskr

kufskr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

ok update, I found an old motherboard that I'm (still) not sure if it worked. But I connected it to my PSU anyway to see what would happen and I got the EXACT same symptom as on my main Motherboard. Where when I turn the PSU switch on I get a light and when I try to turn on the CPU and MB alone the fans start to turn and immediately stop.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

FWIW: I just replaced a PSU yesterday on one of my systems...where the only sign of life was the fan on the PSU blowing air out. It didn't take long to figure it out and try a replacement PSU which worked.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users