Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PMP Can't See Music After Unhide

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MusicMan83

MusicMan83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hi Techs,

I'm experiencing an odd issue that I can't seem to resolve after hours of research. Here's the details:

A few days ago I was transferring music from my internal HD to an external when my computer started acting up. I could no longer access the drives so I rebooted. After the reboot I found that all my icons were gone and my hard drives were empty. Researching online led me to the realization that I had a virus that had hid all my files and folders. It took a long while, but after multiple scans I came to the conclusion that I had the rootkit ZeroAccess. Utilizing the tools at the website, it appears that my computer is now virus/rootkit free as it's operating the way it did before the whole mess. I ran unhide.exe and that brought all my folders and files visible again. I found it strange that the virus had also affected all the files and folders on my external drive, but unhide.exe apparently brought all those visible as well. Yesterday I proceeded to copy some music from that external drive to my portable music player (CowonX7). After restarting the player I found that none of the files can be seen; only the folders that contain those files. I checked their attributes in Explorer as well as in the command prompt and they're all set to Archive, but none are set to hidden. I can see and playback the music fine in Windows Explorer, but not in the player. I tried transferring the files to my desktop and back to the player, and even retranscoding the audio, but they're still not showing up in the PMP's menu.

Do any of you guys have any idea why I can see and playback these audio files, which are in the same format as the rest of the audio on my PMP, in explorer, but only see the folder in the PMP?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
=Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

I would contact the company / manufacturer of the portal music player to see what they have to say. Sounds like you may need to restore the setting back to default on the player then perform the transfer again.

#3 MusicMan83

MusicMan83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

It crossed my mind that it might be the player, so I'm going to transfer the files to another player and see if it sees the files and let you guys know the results. Do you know if there's a way to run unhide.exe on another drive other than the internal hard drives? I'm not sure if it ran on my external drive.

Thanks for the reply Cryptodan,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users