Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet won't connect- Compaq

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amadien

Amadien

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

I recently took apart my compaq for cleaning. After having to take it apart and reassemble it several more times that day, i finally got everything hooked up and cleaned. But now my internet doesn't connect. My computer is a compaq presario CQ-50 215CA.
The little wireless button is continously red, not blue, and whenever i click it, the wireless hp assistant only says it becomes either turned off, or disabled. It refuses to turn on. I did system restore, i plugged it in manually to the modem, it only becomes local internet then.
I have made sure it is plugged into the motherboard as well, the connection is fine since my power button works, and the power button is connected to the wireless.
Some have suggested a software problem, but i don't know where to start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amadien

Amadien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

Also i am not sure if this should be in the Windows Vista topic, i looked about the other topics and really wasn't sure where to put it. So if any mod's are reading just move it to the right topic, thank you~

#3 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:00 AM

I'm thinking it's hardware related, but we can clear up the common "software issues" first, if you're sure you reconnected everything properly.

HERE is a link to the Network Drivers for the Compaq Presario CQ50 215CA running Windows Vista 32-bit.

After you provide the information below, I will be able to tell you which driver to download and install.

If you know for certain without my assistance, feel free to download the appropriate driver, install, and reboot the machine.

===================================================================

Let's see this:

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Network Adapters so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

If you have no internet connection on the problem PC, transferring the screenshot via flashdrive or CD to a working computer is possible. If this is not practical for you, a detailed listing of the requested information will suffice, along with any ! ? or X's next to the entries.

Edited by TheShooter93, 07 October 2011 - 01:01 AM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#4 Amadien

Amadien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

Alrighty, this is becoming troublesome.

My father fiddled with it and was in DOS, and he actually got the wireless button to work by enabling something when it was disabled. Though my computer froze due before we could try it. It did say it was recognizing the wireless networks out there. But then we had to restart it, and even though it still says the thing in DOS is enabled, it just went right back to not working.
Currently though, i am hooked up to the internet directly, and it is sorta working... Though everything is quite slow, and my windows security keeps telling me that there are some issues with it. Plus on Firefox, it won't allow me to access some sites because it says all these sites i regularly go to aren't trusted and they won't accept the certificate.

I took a screenshot as well, and i didn't download any of the drivers because i really don't know what i need.

Posted Image

#5 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

Unfortunately, the Atheros wireless adapters have been giving many people trouble connecting via wireless.

HERE is the link to the driver that you'll need to download and install.

Once you've done this, reboot the machine.

Edited by TheShooter93, 08 October 2011 - 01:09 AM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#6 Amadien

Amadien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hmm.. Everything seems to be working now.
Though it's a little finicky, i have to press the wireless button at the right time when it's starting up. But now i have consistent internet!
Thank you very much!

#7 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

What do you mean you have to press the wireless button at the right time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users