Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flash drive compatability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

does anyone know why win7 won't read flash drives? i downloaded photos from an old winxp machine onto a flash drive, then attempted to view them on my new win7 laptop, but it doesn't detect anything. i know the thumb drive is working properly, i tried it on other xp machines & it was opened & read with no problems. i also tried it on other win7 systems, it didn't work on them either. is this another design flaw in win7? does anyone know of a fix? thanks r.f.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

does anyone know why win7 won't read flash drives?

What form of media is the data on the flash drive (JPEG , GIF or other). JPEG is usually the better.

When you open Computer to view the drives, is the flash drive listed as being one of the visible drives, or is it just not shown.
If it is not shown then the usb port is not recognising either the media or the drive.

Clean the flash drive (see link below) and restart with only JPEG images, or simple text first to see if it is recognised.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CFYQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehow.com%2Fhow_4745304_clear-usb-flash-drive.html&ei=0ieOTu3QDvCOiAeAo4mQDg&usg=AFQjCNHFfQ3WMW7PKs19DH8UzQ21UUF6sg

Can you try to put these items on a CD or DVD and see if they are recognised.

I had similar problems with media not transferring from XP to Win7, as it showed the 4G flash as 95% full on the Win7 but only 75% full on the XP.

Regards -

#3 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

the photos on the flash drive are "jpeg". when inserted, the small "auto play" window opens showing the "removable disk (E:)" icon & the three options. obviously the thumb drive itself is being detected, but the content (photos) aren't. when the "open folder to view files" option is selected, the "windows explorer" window opens & say's "this folder is empty"
i've right clicked & double clicked the "removable disk (E:)" icon in the task pane & this brings up various options, none of which displays the photos.
don't know what to try next. thanks r.f.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hi again -

I just cleaned and attempted to place a large collection of items on a flash drive (from my XP) and transfer these to my Win7.
Unfortunately this failed, maybe due to the size and quantity (not quality) of the items ? ?

Then I cleaned the flash drive, and only put 2 JPEG pictures on the flash. This was successfully done.
I could easily transfer the 2 pictures from my XP to the Win7 (both were saved screen shots).

Try with only a few pictures first, and not a folder full of pictures, and check the results.
Also try to transfer with a DVD or CD and see if this procedure will work. The size of transfer may be too large ? ?

How big is the flash drive and how big is the file you are trying to transfer ?

Thank You -

#5 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

thanks N. after cleaning/formating the drive it worked fine. r.f.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users