Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Power Up Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lklady

lklady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 3000, Windows XP. The apartment building across mine took a direct lightening hit. My computer was on at the time (I was not home) when I got home, the computer was off and I tried to turn it on and ---nothing---. I was using a surge protector, however, everything else that was plugged in works. It is assumed that whatever hit my computer came in through the cable, not the plug in (both tvs were shot as well). I contacted Dell and they suggested a power supply.....ordered one....didn't work.....they suggested a motherboard.....ordered one......didn't work......tried new power supply with new motherboard....still nothing.....there is a green light on the motherboard---both motherboards. Does anyone have any suggestions at all about what this might be and what if anything I can do at this point? Everyone I have talked to is stumped....they all said either the motherboard or the power supply, but tried both. If anyone has any suggestions I am up for whatever. Thanks in advance. Sorry it is so lengthy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:52 AM

Do you get any beeps or lights flashing? Do the drives spin up? Did your monitor come on?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:35 AM

The power surge might have damaged the processor or RAM.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

Do you get any beeps from the motherboard?

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

those are probably some of the most overlooked components to be fried by a lightning storm. i have never had any computers go out by lightning, but you might just wanna make sure.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 lklady

lklady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

Do you get any beeps or lights flashing? Do the drives spin up? Did your monitor come on?

No beeps. No flashing lights. No spinning drives. Monitor doesnt come on, but not sure if it would if computer doesnt come on. I haven't tried the monitor with another computer.

How would I check those things?

Do you get any beeps from the motherboard?

No beeps.

#7 lklady

lklady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

those are probably some of the most overlooked components to be fried by a lightning storm. i have never had any computers go out by lightning, but you might just wanna make sure.

Is there a "dummy" way to check the processor and/or RAM? How much would those typically cost to replace?

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

Pull the RAM and try to start the computer. If the motherboard is trying to start you should receive beeps letting you know the RAM is missing. If not it may be the proccessor or the board it's self.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

What Proccessor do you have. Type(P-II,P4, athlon,..?), speed form (slot 1, slot A, 370,...?)

#10 lklady

lklady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

What Proccessor do you have. Type(P-II,P4, athlon,..?), speed form (slot 1, slot A, 370,...?)

Pentium 4, not sure about the speed form??? I had someone remove old power supply and motherboard and replace the new. But he was stumped after that because Dell told us that it would only be either the power supply or motherboard. So thats why we tried those 2. I do not have a warranty and it took them about 6 hours just to tell me that.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

YOU should be doing these things This is not a hard or complicatted task. I am not trying to be rude but everything we recommend can be acomplished by a novist. To pull the RAM and test the the computer by plugging it in without the RAM is very easy and at most takes a + head screw driver. There is alittle more to the proccessor but well within your abiblities.
If you are game I will talk you thru the next test?

#12 lklady

lklady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

YOU should be doing these things This is not a hard or complicatted task. I am not trying to be rude but everything we recommend can be acomplished by a novist. To pull the RAM and test the the computer by plugging it in without the RAM is very easy and at most takes a + head screw driver. There is alittle more to the proccessor but well within your abiblities.
If you are game I will talk you thru the next test?

I am definately game---I would love the help. I was just afraid that if I didn't know what I was doing I might screw it up more. Thanks a bunch.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Outstanding :thumbsup: And by the way, I am helpping. You are doing. You don't know, yet! But you will. You can do anything as long as you know when to ask for help. We do it the first time. You do it from then out. All of Bleeping Computer is here to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users