Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing virus when anti-virus won't run?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ahem ahem

ahem ahem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

I've been having issues with my laptop lately. I am happy to run as many virus/malware remover things as I need to, but I don't know how to read the logs to diagnose the problem. I run Windows XP, but it is a weird version my neighbor found on the internet and installed for me several years ago. I think this is the reason I cannot run in safe mode? I'm not really sure what he installed exactly, but it is basically Windows XP and has run great for me these last four years. Don't let it distract you from the issues at hand, just know that I can't run in Safe Mode.

Anyway, my problems.

Firefox will often stop responding, and when I close the browser and go to restart it, I am told that it is already running and I need to close that process before I can restart the program. So I go into task manager and manually stop the firefox process and am then able to reopen firefox. I was running an old version, so when it started occurring more frequently in the last few weeks, I downloaded Firefox 7, but the problem is still occurring. For a couple days I was also having issues with FF redirecting me to random websites instead of following links I wanted, but I haven't noticed that in the last two days, possibly because I am doing less random internet browsing.

Additionally I've noticed in the last week or two, sometimes (let's say 3 out of 5 times) when I try to put my computer on standby or to shutdown, it will either ignore my command or will start to shut down, but then freeze on a blank screen with just my wallpaper showing. If it just ignores my command, I can still interact with the desktop, but nothing really responds (it acts like it is going to open a program (like if I click on calculator, for example), but then just... nothing happens. Also will not let me open task manager (Actually it won't let me do that right now either, so that might be a more wide spread problem). If it freezes on the wallpaper, I can not interact with it at all and nothing changes for several hours. In both cases I have to manually hold down the power button to shut it down.

When the problems first started occurring, I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program, but nothing turned up. Once or twice I caught some things with my AVG scans, which they recommended putting in the 'vault.' But now my Malwarebytes won't even run. When I try I get told "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

For a while I thought the problem might be with AVG (random internet people can be very convincing sometimes), so I uninstalled it, but this did not actually help.

After browsing some forums here, I downloaded various tools and tried to run them, but as I do not understand the logs or what they're telling me, I'm not sure it did any good.

I downloaded a GMER thing (?) twice, but both times it shutdown randomly in the middle of its scan and gives me the same "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." message when I try to reopen it. I also downloaded a RKUnhookerLE.EXE, tdsskiller.exe, rkill.exe (I've used this for a nasty virus I had a few months ago, but it doesn't seem to do anything now.), and SUPERAntiSpyware.exe (this one was giving me problem starting up, and I finally just cancelled the installation when it seemed to get stuck at the end. Possibly if I had just let it run it would have eventually started up, but after five minutes or so I stopped it.)

Anyway, I'm happy to run any and all of these programs and post logs here if there is someone willing to help me decipher them. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer wiz45

Computer wiz45

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

I think based on the Description. You need to follow this gudie: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.htm

This removal might take more powerful tools that is only allow in the Virus,Spyware,Removal Log.

Edited by Computer wiz45, 06 October 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#3 ahem ahem

ahem ahem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the advice, but that link doesn't seem to be working. Woops! Wanna try again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users