Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lsass.exe - System Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GarrettF

GarrettF

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hello again,
Having an issue booting up a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 laptop in Windows XP Home. Each time the system boots up, I get an error message that states...

lsass.exe - System Error
Object Name not found.

The system waits for me to either click X or OK. Whichever I click, the system reboots and comes right back to this error message.

I have rebooted into Safe Mode, but no change - the same error message comes up.

This laptop is a backup system I use, so I still have my primary desktop to use for work, research, etc. Feel free to email me at...

Mod Edit: Removed email, phone data, all forum business is to be conducted within the forums...for the protection of the member (spam, bad suggestions, etc.) ~ Hamluis.

Thank you so very much!!

Garrett

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2011 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

These errors are hard to troubleshoot without the system.

Chances are...it's either malware...a registry problem...or file corruption...but it could be something totally off the radar screen.

Toshiba doesn't provide as much support info as some other manufacturers...so it looks like the Toshiba option is to restore-to-factory-defaults whenever anything goes wrong.

Since it's not a primary system...I would just do the restore to factory defaults and move on...to see if it still has problems.

Louis

#3 GarrettF

GarrettF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi Louis and thanks for replying to my problem. The system has Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware software installed, so I'm thinking this issue shouldn't be malware, but then again...

Any thoughts on how I can restore the system to factory defaults? I've long since lost the Toshiba recovery disks.

Thanks again,
Garrett

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Amazingly enough...Toshiba doesn't seem to provide that info in its User Manual, http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1042090&rpn=PSM40U&modelFilter=&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663 . Pretty sad support, I must say.

But...see the following: http://www.ehow.com/how_7264245_recover-toshiba-satellite-m45.html

Louis

#5 GarrettF

GarrettF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hi Louis,

Went to the link. It describes how to recover the laptop to factory default settings. The instructions read...

Press the "0" (zero) key and hold it while you press the "Power" button on the Satellite M45 laptop. Wait for the "Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility" to appear on the screen.

... but the "Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility" never appears because the lsass.exe - System Error flag pops up before the utility ever comes up.

I've had this Toshiba for several years now. Been through all kinds of issues with it, but its always come through for me. Sad to see it become a paperweight because of a login violation. I'm also thoroughly disgusted that the Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware software did not protect me from this sort of problem.

Thank you for your help,
GarrettF

#6 GarrettF

GarrettF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Went to recovery-disks and found the disks I need to do a complete recovery. $30 for the disks and another $20 for the shipping... and I still don't know why Malwarebyte didn't protect me from this *rap.

GarrettF

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

"Chances are...it's either malware...a registry problem...or file corruption...but it could be something totally off the radar screen."

I thought that statement made it clear...that it's impossible to determine just what happened or why...on a system that doesn't boot properly.

Malwarebytes...an AV program...or any other program designed to deal with malware...is not effective against regsitry/file corruption problems. These types of situations happen every day...which is why the system manufacturer emphasized the importance of backing up routinely.

Rather than posturing about how ineffective Malwarebytes might be...I would focus on doing routine backups in the present/future.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users